Jaimes.Nov.2014

Temperatures: 60 and 53

Times: 3:18-4:20pm and 5:09-6:10pm

Dates: 11/19 and 11/23

Details:    11/19: very sunny day with wind. The sky was very clear and bright.

11/23: cloudy, cool and wind. It had rained the day before so the ground was still wet.

“And when the axe was invented, he became a taker: he could chop it down. Whoever owns the land has thus assumed, whether he knows it or not, the divine functions of creating and destroying plants” (Leopold, 67).

This month I took a detour from the usual spot I went to during the month. I went to the usual spot but I also explored the area a bit more.  At the usual spot I went to for the previous months, I noticed that the leaves on the trees have been changing. They have gone from bright and dark green colors to a lighter green and reddish or brown color. Though the colors have been changing, the leaves have not fallen completely. This gives a sign that the season has changed. The changes of the leaves and the temperature were the only differences I found from the previous months.     —Picture 1

As I explored the area more, I found two secret places. The first place that I found was a small trail that went off of the sidewalk. I followed the trail and it led me to a dome-like place that was made out of branches. There is a picture below that shows what I found. I went inside and i saw that there were some red rocks and a small blue cross on the ground. Above the cross, hanging on a branch, was a golf club. Not to far from there was also a stump that had small objects on it like bottle caps and small diamond like pieces. I did not know what this place was but it certainly sparked up my curiosity. I looked around the dome but I could not find another place like it and I could not figure out what it was.    —Picture 2

The second spot I found was behind the garden-like area that is maintained by the apartments nearby. There was another small trial that I followed and led to a creek. Because it had rained the day before, there was some water flowing. The water was very clear and you could see the sand that lay at the bottom. In the area there were a lot of fallen trees. Most of the area looked dead with some shrubs around. I also found some cacti and a long legged spider. The area looked uninhabited but perhaps there are some animals that come to drink water.        —-Picture 3

After months of sitting in the same spot week after week, I decided to look around the area because I wanted to get a better idea of what else was around. The three spots i visited had the same type of vegetation. The area had mostly trees that were thin and did not grow straight up. The spot I found the most interesting was the spot that had the dome because it is a hidden area. Although it is man-made, it was interesting because it was in a hidden place and it is there is only one building nearby which made it more interesting.

1. IMG_6678  2.     IMG_6667-2

3. IMG_6706