RSS Feed

Reflection Collection

0

May 1, 2014 by etorres4

My parents just asked me how hanging out on my computer or looking at my phone all day relates to my major. *Hair Flip and I respond

“I am a millenial. Generation Y. Born between the birth of AIDS and 9/11. Give or take. They call us the global generation. We are known for out entitlement and narcissism. Some say it’s because we’re the first generation where every kid gets a trophy for just growing up. Others thinks it’s because social media allows us to post every time we fart or have a sandwich for all the world to see. But it seems our one defining trait is a numbness to the world. An indifference to suffering.”

– Madison Montgomery 

Just kidding my parents would slap me.

Being part of the millennial generation social media has been a strong part of my child hood and coming of age. Growing up with myspace and computer games, social media comes easy to me as to many at my age.

To my surprise social media when it comes to PR is so much more than posting stuff and following people it’s all about creating a buzz and who you want to buss about it. Various aspects from this class and my PLN (Personal Learning Network) helped prepare me to teach my clients what I’ve learned for their business. Austin Executives Association 

Logo

In order to have sucess on social media you must create the perfect social media platform, blogging and creating the image you want to show people is very important. I learned that blogging and censoring my tweets would allow me to get the buzz I wanted while keeping me active on social media. For a moment I did feel like I had two lives, because I had two twitters but it takes getting used to I guess.

At the moment I have a client who wants me to help him build a social media platform for his business. I will use all of the techniques and steps learned in this class to aid his social media platform. I can think of various situations in which I could use this again like stated before I will do so to help this client. As I move forward with my colligate career I want to start a student organization and will put into force these rules in order to help create a good social media platform. Plus I get to make money! 

Overall working with real clients just helps me realize that this is what I want to do and it is what I want to work in. I also learned that time management is everything and that you should always be ready for the unexpected. I also had the change to put into force my PR instincts. 

Although I was ready for a challenge I was surprised by the age of this group of this association and their interest in social media. As a result of the age gap it was also a large factor to why they haven’t hopped on the social media wagon, and it was due to the opposition of some of the members. This was confusing and frustrating, but the real truth the had to learn is that if you do not exist in social media, you don’t exist at all.

Overall I loved learning how to build a professional social media platform.

0 comments »