Image Meth matchbook

The goal of this assignment was to draw inspiration from a given movie, and then design and make a matchbook that feels as though it would fit into the world of the movie. My movie for this project was Wes Anderson’s Grand Budapest Hotel. This is a very colorful and eccentric movie so I had no trouble visualizing matchbook to fit into this world. I drew colors, and the motifs of the hotel and the apple directly from the movie. Originally the matchbook was going to be designed as if it were a matchbook to be given away as souvenirs by the hotel itself. However through revisions I settled on the idea that the matchbook was a personal item of M. Gustave, the concierge and main character of Grand Budapest. M. Gustave is a very well groomed, prim and proper, odd ball of a gentle men, and it would come as no surprise for him to carry his own personalized matchbooks. Overall the color, taken directly from Gustave’s uniform, the motifs of the hotel and the apple, and the simplicity of it all captures the essence of the movie very well. As a side note I had no trouble in designing this piece as Grand Budapest Hotel is one of my favorite movies.