VISU 1311: Book Project 1st Pass

For my book, I want to take pictures of the Driskill Hotel on 6th Street. The hotel is the oldest building in Austin, built in 1886 and the architecture of the hotel is stunning. I will develop a book that follows a journey through the hotel, starting with the doors, going through the lobby, in the cafe, up the stairs, into the bars and the ballrooms, and back down the stairs. When I was there, I saw a lot of potential images that would use perspective and repetition, and there are so many long ceilings and hallways I would like to capture, so I would like to keep my book taller than it is wide. I want to use some quotes about the rooms the book shows, like the ballroom and the cafe, and align the text into shapes that connote objects that would be found in the room. I plan to use a cutout to open the door to the hotel which will peek into the lobby, and then when the page is flipped, will open back to a shot of 6th street. I would like to shoot in the evening, I think the muted colors and elements will photograph best in that light and it will make the hotel seem older, and warmer. I may have to call the manager of the hotel and ask to get access to the ballroom, when I went there I wasn’t allowed in because of a private party. Overall, I’m hoping to capture the elegance and excitement of staying at the oldest hotel in Austin.

img_1278 img_1279 img_1283 img_1284 img_1287 img_1288 img_1295 img_1296 img_1297 img_1300 img_1301 img_1302 img_1304 img_1307 img_1312 img_1315 img_1319 img_1320