Visual Studies Seminar: Blog Post #5

Part 1:

• This was an assignment I had in my Foundation Art & Design class (I have since dropped that class). The goal of the assignment was to take an object and shoot it in 100 unique  situations.
  • I went about reaching this goal by wisely picking a certain classmate to be my partner on this project (originally, this project was to be done individually, but the professor thought it’d be quicker and easier to do partners). He chose the object and did most of the picture-taking, while I put the object in unique situations (and was in many of the pictures myself).

img_7089

img_7099

Part 2:

• The strongest aspect of this work is one where I hold the object up to a door and then place my ear against the object, giving the image that I am eavesdropping on a private conversation taking place in the room behind the door.
  • The weakest aspect is one where I have the object in my hands that I am holding open. The intention was to make it seem like the object was a pearl in an oyster, with my hands opening up being a resemblance of an oyster shell opening up, but it wasn’t clear enough I’ll admit.
  • The project can be strengthened conceptually by continuing to explore new situations to put the object in so as to further diversify the project.
  • The project can be strengthened technically by exploring all the various options on the camera and utilizing them when taking the pictures.
  • Due to a faulty battery, we only had enough time and power to take 82 pictures out of the 100 we were assigned to do. It did not affect our grade however.