1ST YR SEMINAR VISUAL STUDIES: Blog Post #11

PART 1:

Bill Kennedy:

Bill’s work is mainly research. He starts with photos, decomposes them through photoshop and recreates them, and likes to do work in New Mexico. He uses inkjet for work, but uses a variety of papers when printing. He likes to experiment with it, and takes long periods of time on work, sometimes to throw it away.

Hollis Hammonds:

Hollis draws/sketches a lot in work. She likes to do work with storms and patterns and draws very detailed collages of what looks like apocalyptic or post storm aftermaths. She flips back and forth from sculptures to detailed drawings. Her work can be really small or really big. She likes to create graphics with texts, and working on comics.

Alex Robinson:

Her work is based on how we perceive. Her works are based on her life experiences and as a variety of art: drawings, prints, paintings, mappings, etc. She also has work in which she discovers her old work and starts working on it again.

Tammie Rubin:

Focuses on balance between the known and the unknown. She enjoys 3D work rather than 2D work, and she likes taking things that exist and something that doesn’t exist and making fantastical things out of it. She wants people to have the desire to touch her work. Some of her work requires you to come closer to it, and when you come close to it, you still can’t touch it. That ties to that sense of discomfort we have in life because we don’t get to touch the work.

Vitone:

His photographs are all black and white. All of the photographs are of people, mainly of ranchers. You can assume the lifestyles of people in his photos. He likes to capture photos of people and for the audience to experiment what might their lifestyle may be.

PART 2:

I assume the 5-year plan is after I graduate.

Year 1: Continue my work familiar to what I was doing in college to see if this is something that I really want to do.

Year 2: If all goes as planned and I am satisfied with what I am doing, then maybe I can find a more complex job in my field since I am already comfortable and familiar with the work.

Year 3: Start thinking/considering about how the work that I’ve been doing so far can help/benefit society. Maybe I can try start doing things on my own with help from some people.

Year 4: Hopefully I am confident enough to pursue whatever my plan is and go through with it.

Year 5: If my plan is working this far down the road then I can work on expanding and spreading the word about my work or just expanding my work itself.