This section focuses on the Library’s resources and selected resources from the Web that will help you to perform marketing & entrepreneurship research. It includes broader economic-related resources as they relate to consumers and markets, as well as helpful resources and business plans.
Jump to Marketing Strategy and Advertising section
Market Research and Consumer Data
Library Databases and Journals
- Hoover’s Company (public and private) and industry information.
- NetAdvantage Company (public and private) and industry information.
- IBISWorld Contains hundreds of industry analysis reports, both current and historical, with economic, demographic, and government information compiled by economists and industry experts and features Industry Research Reports, Industry Risk Rating Reports, Global Industry Research Reports, and Business Environment Reports. For market share information, click on the tabs above the report name to get industry performance, major companies and competitive landscape.
- Mintel Academic Offers yearly reports covering US consumer markets in the CPG/FMCG, financial services, media, retail, leisure and industrial space. Market data including size, segmentation and forecasts. Includes daily updates on the hottest issues affecting key consumer markets and the economy.
- Reference USA (Includes the U.S. Consumers/Lifestyles Database) watch video tutorial ReferenceUSA SIC and NAICS Code Searches (7:05) and view Reference USA presentations on slideshare B2B Market Research Company Size, Consumer Market Research with ReferenceUSA, ReferenceUSA Consumer Lifestyles Search
- Business Source Complete Choose “Market Research Reports.” To find articles with market share information, enter (DE “Market Share”) in the search box along with the name of your product or company.
- SRDS (Standard Rate and Data Service) SRDS provides media rates and data for the advertising industry, listing ad rates, circulation information, geographic media coverage, content type, and other information for many forms of media. The content areas included in our subscription: Digital Media, Consumer Magazine Media, Business Publication Media, Local Media, Newspaper Media, Radio Media, and TV & Cable Media.
- Statista Provides access to statistical data on over 60,000 topics from more than 18,000 sources, including market researchers, trade organizations, scientific journals, and government databases. Much of the data is related to marketing, demographic, government and industry information. Data can be downloaded in JPG, PowerPoint and Excel. Type in your product or company name and the words market share.
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets guides to read Market Research and Entrepreneurship: Statistics Relevant to Market and Business Development Research, Market Research and Entrepreneurship: Consumer/Market Research and Consumption Expenditures by State: About BEA Personal Consumption Expenditures
- CB Insights only available on campus! First-time users must create an account with their SEU e-mail address. Covers “marketing tech.”
- PsychInfo Contains full text journals about consumer psychology.
- LinkedIn Learning “Learn how to develop, implement, and measure a winning marketing strategy using today’s tools and platforms. Our marketing courses help you master traditional marketing skills and the latest digital tools and techniques—learn everything from branding and public relations to SEO, PPC, web analytics, and social media marketing.”
- ProQuest Statistical Abstracts of the United States Information on: Civilian employment status by age, sex, marital status, race & ethnicity; labor force participation rates and projections, foreign born & native born employment status, veteran employment status, disabled persons employment status, self-employed workers by industry and occupation, types of work flexibility provided to employees, average number of jobs held, green goods and services, annual hourly wages, employment projections by industry, workplace violence rates, and labor union participation.
- Small Business Reference Center Offers a wide variety of information on small business and entrepreneurial subject areas, common business types, a help and advice section, and provides information on how to create business plans that lead to successful funding. Business videos provide critical information for business owners: interviews, ‘lessons learned’ features, lectures and ‘how to’ videos help foster success in all aspects of managing a business. A collection of state-specific resources supports the researcher with demographic data and other local information.
- Advertising Age (Journal) Articles on national and international marketing, news about individuals in advertising, statistics on advertising and special reports.
- American Buyers : Demographics of Shopping. Demographics of Shopping presents spending data in a groundbreaking guide to buying patterns.
- The American Marketplace : Demographics and Spending Patterns Draws on scores of government sources to give you a population profile of the United States in one handy volume. Its hundreds of tables are organized into 11 chapters covering attitudes, education, health, housing, income, labor force, living arrangements, population, spending, time use, and wealth.
- American Incomes : Demographics of Who Has Money Your map to the changing consumer landscape; facts you need to stay competitive in an unpredictable economy. It is a one-stop resource for understanding the economic status of Americans–how the incomes of men and women are changing, which households have money left over after paying for the necessities (valuable discretionary income figures calculated just for this book), who is wealthy, and who is poor.
- Household Spending : Who Spends How Much on What This unique resource gives you the latest dollar-for-dollar answers to the questions Who buys? What do they buy? How much do they spend? It also gives you market shares and spending indexes, valuable additions to your research.
- Best Customers : Demographics of Consumer Demand Demographics of Consumer Demand, with all-important 2012 spending data. Best Customers is a unique look at who the best and biggest customers are for hundreds of individual products and services.
- Who’s Buying Series This series provides an overview of insights into consumer spending patterns. Specific volumes include: groceries, transportation, entertainment, apparel, health care, pets, electronics, furnishings, restaurants, beverages, by age and by race.
- Consumer Behavior Updated annually
- International Consumer Markets Updated annually
- Consumer Use of the Internet & Mobile Web Updated annually
- Consumer Marketing Updated annually
- United States International Trade Administration
- See Country Commercial Guides which provide information on market conditions, opportunities, regulations, and business customs for more than 70 major markets.
- United States Commercial Service
- Thomasnet.com Find suppliers, insights, tools and more..
- Advertising Age Data Center
- American Customer Satisfaction Index National independent index of customer satisfaction.
- trendwatching.com Consumer trends and insights from around the world.
- National Retail Federation The worlds largest retail trade association providing resources on retail insight, technology, safety standards, and consumer data.
- Demographics – Rand Corporation “The study of populations and their effects on energy and the environment has become increasingly important to both the private sector and government. RAND demographers—experts in fields such as economics, statistics, mathematics, epidemiology, population and migration, and labor markets—conduct multidisciplinary, policy-relevant research and host annual conferences and demography workshops to help solve real-world problems.”
- Pew Research Global Attitudes Project Public opinion surveys around the world on a broad array of subjects ranging from people’s assessments of their own lives to their views about the current state of the world & important issues of the day. Nearly 400,000 interviews in 63 countries have been conducted as part of the project’s work.
- State of Working America A wide variety of data on family incomes, wages, jobs, unemployment, wealth, and poverty that allow for a clear, unbiased understanding of the economy’s effect on the living standards of working Americans.
- Statistic Brain Register for an account to find the latest statistics in business, politics, entertainment, technology, and sports.
- Explore Census Data The Census’ search engine for population, housing, and economic data.
- American Time Use Survey From the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Measures the amount of time people spend doing various activities, such as work, childcare and leisure activities.
- U.S. Census: State and County QuickFacts QuickFacts provides easy access to facts about the people, business, and geography of the United States.
- U.S. Census Bureau: Statistics of U.S. Business Annual series that provides national and subnational data on the distribution of economic data by enterprise size and industry. SUSB covers most of the country’s economic activity. The series excludes data on non-employer businesses, private households, railroads, agricultural production, and most government entities.
- U.S. Department of Labor: Consumer Expenditure Survey Information on the buying habits of American consumers provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Marketing Strategy and Advertising
- Statista Digital Market Outlook – Offers forecasts, detailed market insights and essential performance indicators of the most significant areas in the “Digital Economy”, including various digital goods and services.
- SRDS SRDS provides media rates and business data for the advertising industry, listing ad rates, circulation information, geographic media coverage, content type and other information for many forms of media. The content areas included in our subscription: Digital Media, Consumer Magazine Media, Business Publication Media, Local Media, Newspaper Media, Radio Media and TV & Cable Media.
- MarketingSherpa – a research institute specializing in tracking what works in all aspects of marketing. Provides articles and videos with marketing tips and advice.
- Periodic Table of Content Marketing – An ingenious guide to content marketing success, starting with the strategy and ending with double-checking and optimizing your work.
- Practical Ecommerce– Articles, tutorials, webinars, and podcasts to help smaller, local businesses succeed online.
- Adweek’s Performance Marketing page