VISU 1311: Midterm Essay

In this class, I put lots of effort into my assignments and try my best even though the skills I am earning are new to me and I sometimes have trouble executing my vision through new mediums. But, I am always willing to work hard to come up with something I am happy with. For instance, the photo project at first was difficult for me, because I had never had any formal training on how to take pictures. I was happy with my first set of pictures, but soon found that there was a lot of details and technique I was missing, and the next week, I worked very hard to incorporate them and took my time to make sure I followed the rules, and I was very successful with my next rounds of pictures. I always take time to plan out my projects and think about what I want the final product to look like, and work hard to execute it.

I feel my work has met the criteria of the projects, and with each weekly update, I feel my work grows stronger from critique and sheer practice. On my first attempts, I meet all of the listed criteria, and over time, my work grows stronger conceptually and meets the criteria for the project and my own personal criteria. On the collage pieces, I worked to make sure I had the exact number of cuts for each piece, and using my feedback I received in class, worked and practiced, looking for inspiration online and thinking about concepts thoroughly before I executed the project. I worked hard to make my collages to be abstract and harmonious as well as meet the criteria for the project, and over time, I think I have succeeded.

I enjoyed receiving feedback and I was able to incorporate it into my projects. Because collage and photography are skills I haven’t worked with a lot or been trained in in the past, I needed a bit of critique to help shape my vision and focus it, and to find new and better ways to create the pieces. I took criticism well and not personally, because though I had thought some of my work was good and didn’t like hearing it, I realize it only made me stronger and helped me to practice and finesse my skills. In my photo project, I received a bit of positive and critical feedback on my first set, even though I was pleased with it at first. But, getting this critique that it needed more than just the color aspect helped me to grow as a photographer and work to capture my vision and make my sets cohesive. This experience has helped me and makes me want to practice more to get a handle on the skills I am learning.

I work very hard on my projects and never slack on them, even though I may find them hard. I know that this class is an important one to gain a foundation in my major and my career, and I treat it as such. In the collage project especially, I worked hard and spent many hours performing trial and error to create something I could turn in that I was happy with for a first draft to receive critique since I was unclear at first, and this process helped me to gain insight as to new ways to collage and why it is a unique and important art form. I devote lots of time to learning the new skills and I don’t give up when a task proves more challenging than I thought it would be. The projects are challenging for me, but I power through to become better.

I have been hired recently by Campus Ministry as a member of their graphic design team and have done numerous assignments for them in my time working with them. I enjoy working in this professional and fast-paced environment and I feel that it is helping to develop my professional skills as well as my graphic design skills. In addition, I also still work for the screen printing company I worked with back in my hometown and do designs for their clients and act as a sales rep for his company out here in Austin. This job is also going well and I am finding lots of potential clients.

Having left my home town and home state, I feel that I am adjusting well to living in a completely new environment and to college life. I have been able to find friends who are as devoted as I am to their success in school and who have introduced me to my new community and made me feel at home. I am able to work through the challenge of being far away from home and being with a completely new set of people and to a new situation. I haven’t gotten into any trouble and I don’t have plans to. I am enjoying my time here now that I am fully situated and am finding it very easy to get my work done and thrive in a new community.

I think I contribute well to the class discussions and environment, because I always defend my art work well and know why I made a certain choice in my pieces, and am willing to accept critique from my classmates. I always come to class and am prepared to work, and I try new things and make art I am proud of.