Calculating Expert Hours

Calculating Expert Hours

As far as calculating expert hours for Advanced Typography, the standard amount would apparently be 17 hours per week, with 4 in class and 13 outside of class. If I carry that over to a full month, that’s about 68 hours. Given that a semester is usually about 6 months (if I remember correctly), that’s about 408 hours across the semester, and 204 by the mid-term point. I think that I definitely hit the 13hr mark outside of class. I live and breathe homework and practice, so I don’t think I ever have a problem with that.

I think on a light week I may spend closer to 7 hours a week outside of class working on assignments, so I think it’s reasonable to say that I would be somewhere between 132 and 204 hours by mid-terms, and have anywhere from 264-408 hours at the end of the semester. That’s a reasonable goal and something I feel is incredibly attainable. I’m sure I’ll end up hitting the upper bounds of that estimate as the work load picks up, so I think I’m going to have a considerable amount of hours by the time the end of the semester rolls around!

If I were to go back as far as elementary school to see what my total expert hours were across all subjects and fields, it’d probably be about 2,538 hours, assuming I spent 8 hours in classes during the week, and at least one hour outside class doing homework or practicing somehow. That’s a really low and conservative estimate, but it does leave a lot to be desired!