Sequenced Stationary!

Sequenced Stationary!

Well, the title works mainly because I feel these outlines look like a low-key stationary set.

davidpadilla

Anyway, this stage was incredibly helpful. I’ve really managed to step back and asses what i want to accomplish, and on what scope. Granted, there are still one or two things I need to flesh out, such as a potential gate fold, but for the most part the groundwork has been laid.

I had to think long and hard about what kind of tempo I wanted the book to have. I already knew that I was looking at recorded time, and it was going to be a moment-to-moment transition-based book. I wanted to take clips, stills rather, of the life of a plant in two stages, and put them alongside each other, literally. I think it develops an interesting question as to whether the two plants are actually one plant, but at the same time gives that parallel I was looking for; one between life and death.

I think there’s definitely some kind of rhythm within the book, as there is a definite flow in the way things go. It’s predictable, but still intriguing in the way it is presented. I think the collage aspect will really bring a lot of attention to the plant itself, so that will definitely bring some more life and uniqueness to the book as a whole.

The temporal scope of the book is rather tame; there isn’t much going on at one time. However, I think that’s appropriate given the delicate nature of the book and the subject matter. Decomposition is a slow process, and while the book doesn’t move at a snail’s pace, it is definitely taking its time to highlight the significance of the event. The most important decision that I made was to cut the length of the book off at 12 pages, as anything longer would be a serious drawing out of the narrative.

All in all, the sequence of the book has been decided, and from here we let the artwork take the lead. The next step for me is deciding on a poem/piece of literature I want to use in the book, and then proceed with creating the collages.