Cutter Plotter

mcube silver+gold brownbg mcube purp+green graybg mcube purp+gold tanbg mcube 7layer tanbg expanded pointymcube

This project was left greatly up to our own interpretation, and was coined the “random” project. This assignment encouraged us to find an alternative medium to attach to the vinyl cutter via the pen attachment tool to create a design. I created different geometric patterns in illustrator to produce these pieces with the vinyl cutter. I used acrylic paint pens and tweaked the force, speed, and the pen placement to make this project happen. There was a lot of trial and error in the process of learning and working with the vinyl cutter. I really enjoyed the experience as a whole, and look forward to working more with this medium in the future. I started with a base design and pulled different shapes out of the main form to create varying geometric shapes which were then designated by layer and color. You really have to think backward in the layering process because the top layer is the one that the vinyl cutter replicates first. The color choices and layer sequence was a big obstacle that I faced.