Blog Post #3 by Taylor Gonzalez

An artist that inspires me and that I also really like is the graffiti artist Banksy. If you don’t know, Banksy is a street artist from the United Kingdom who specializes in graffiti stencil art. He is primarily known for his controversial and political work that he displays at random places in any given city. Starting his career as a graffiti artist in the 90’s, Banksy has since become one of the most well-known street artists in the world. So why is he so successful? I believe he is successful because of the powerful message behind most of his work. Typically when we see street art, we just see words in a fancy font. But, Banksy puts a thoughtful message in almost every single piece of art he makes. For example, there is a wall in Israel called the West Bank wall. This wall was made to help prevent terrorism in Israel. Banksy painted a picture on this wall of two children imagining to be on a beautiful beach. This is a very intriguing image because it makes the viewer think about the evils of terrorism and that children should not be brought up in that kind of lifestyle. Also, the simpleness of his art is another factor of why I like him so much. Overall, Banksy has played a major role in inspiring me creatively.