WiP Project Assignment 3: Step B – Blog/Reflection

wipcommunityinterview_elmacantualdrete-3

I interviewed Elma, from the Admissions Office , to dig into the complexity of the Wicked Problem surrounding education.  I chose to interview Elma because she has seen many students apply for financial aid through the admissions process.  With her knowledge between working with the admissions team and also attending St. Edwards University, she provided insight to this topic.  I brought up the questions that were listed in the link.  These questions led to conversations about students, the affordability of college education, and the outcome of education.  This Wicked Problem is difficult and problematic, as we see education everywhere.  Most people attend elementary, middle school, high school, college, and even graduate school.  There are cases where students drop out after or during high school, or even middle school, just because they can not afford it anymore.  Don’t get me wrong there are cases where people drop out just because they don’t want to be going to school.. which is a whole different Wicked problem, within this Wicked Problem.  I believe that education is extremely important in one’s life and should be continued and used to it’s full extent.  I understand the problems such as affordability that come along with attending school and consuming knowledge, but I believe it is worth it in the end.  Having an education will benefit everyone and there are always ways to make education more affordable such as public schools, applying for grants and scholarships, and financial aid.