For each class ask yourself the following:

1. My greatest strengths in IGST 2399 – Video Game History include:

Note taking and processing with the lectures and homework. I’ve gotten a good grade on every assignment so far, so I’m in a very good place in that class right now.

2.For greater success in this course, I need to:

Be more proactive in doing the readings when they are assigned instead of putting it off for a couple days and doing a ton of it at once.

1. My greatest strengths in Japanese 1 include:

Going over what I learned in class over and over, even when I’m not doing my homework. I’ve gotten a lot of apps and have found games to play online to test my learning so I don’t forget anything I learned in class.

It would be very helpful for me to actually find somebody to study or practice with so I could have a natural conversation in this foreign language. It’s important to be able to be able to respond quickly and accurately during a conversation, so I’ll try to find a study partner.

1. My greatest strengths in Environmental Science include:

I sit in the front and center of the classroom and actively listen and take notes during this course. I’ve taken a lot of classes about environmental science in the past, and I’m pretty interested in it, so I feel like that put me in a good mindset for this class, at least.

I actually need to sit down and read the textbook. I never ever do the homework for this class because we don’t really get graded on it, and every graded assignment is only based off of what we talked about in class. I just took the midterm last week and feel like I got a low to mid B on it, and I personally don’t find that acceptable, so I want to be more proactive about readings so I can get an A in the course.

1. My greatest strengths in Visual Studies Seminar include:

I’ve attended every class so far, and while in class, I stay very focused. I sit in the front and listen very attentively. I don’t take out my laptop and get distracted with anything during the seminar.

2. For greater success in this course, I need to:

I don’t really take many notes during the lectures if any at all, so I might start doing that. I tend to learn through listening, and I remember a lot, but just the process of writing down what I’m hearing would help me retain even more

1. My greatest strengths in Digital Music and Audio include:

Whenever I have the audio recorder, I take it with me everywhere and don’t miss an opportunity to record a sound. I know how to use Adobe Audition and I know how to play a couple instruments, so I have a good foundation of skills for this course.

Spend more time editing the audio I record and synchronizing it with the cinematic I’m doing the sound for. I don’t spend a lot of time visiting the computer lab to work, and it’d probably be good for me to do so more often.

1. My greatest strengths in Foundations of Art and Design include:

I do my work as soon as I can and I genuinely enjoy doing it. I’ve taken art classes for several years and I find it really fun to do the assignments for this course.

I’m in the process of letting go of the idea that I already know pretty much everything about the elements and principles of design as well as the significance of the artistic process. When the class started, it seemed like I was one of the only ones with an artistic background, and I was over confident.

1. My greatest strengths in Resident Assistant Class include:

This class is fine. It’s related more to how I perform while doing my job rather than anything academic. It’s very conversation based and fairly simple.

Start working on my cultural immersion project. I haven’t even started it yet. It would also be beneficial if I talked more in the class because that’s part of our grade.

Computer skills:

1. My computer skills include:

Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Audition, Paint tool SAI, Game Maker, Flash, Unity, Maya, Mudbox, Social Media, Python.

1. I still need to learn:

Other programs in Adobe CC as well as how to use 3D modeling applications and game creating software.

Research & writing skills:

1. My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include:

I read over my work many times before submission, and make sure that my writing style is interesting and effective for whatever paper I’m trying to write. I have a large vocabulary that I like to use in my writing.

1. I need to work on these aspects of research and writing:

Database digging. I’m not sure if the library website is just awful to navigate for finding sources, but I often have issues finding interesting and current sources for the papers I write.

1. I learn best & accomplish most when:

I stay very busy. I like to get myself involved with many things and stay active so I keep the ball rolling. If I take a lazy day, I feel very lethargic after. I have to make sure I’m actively working towards something.

ACTION PLAN

Choose one class that you are struggling with or are not doing as well as you could.
Now make a list of 10 ways you could improve your performance in this class.

Environmental Science;

1. Keeping up with the assigned readings for the homework

2. Getting colored pens so I can color code my notes during class

3. Looking over the powerpoints again after class and re-writing pertinent information

4. Creating flash cards for the key vocabulary words

5. Looking over the Midterm exam and finding the correct answer for anything I got wrong and studying that later

6. Reviewing old information while I’m studying new information for the class

7. Spending time to study before the final exam

8. Not putting off writing the paper until the last night and making several iterations

9. Finding extra information and doing extra research in my free time about things related to the research paper

10. Spending more time outside and trying to recognize species and environmental processes we talk about in class.