Social Media & Personal PR: Pinterest

Hello, again. In case you missed out, I’m starting a new series which you can find the first post of here. This is the second post in my series “Social Media & Personal PR”, which is looking at a handful of the most popular social media platforms and how small businesses can utilize them to get word of their brand out and interact with their customers and potential leads. Today’s post is going to focus on one of my personal favorites:

(Google Image Search)
(Google Image Search)

For the people who are not familiar with Pinterest, or have heard about it, but not really sure what it means, Pinterest is “a visual discovery tool that people use to collect ideas for their different projects and interests. People create and share collections (called “boards”) of visual bookmarks (called “Pins”) that they use to do things like plan trips and projects, organize events or save articles and recipes” (definition from Wikipedia). One of the really cool things about Pinterest, besides the amazing amount of good and quality content shared between its users, is the potential for getting noticed. Me, Morgan, someone who is not famous and doesn’t have a significant internet presence, has 618 people who follow all my boards and I follow 177 people myself. I also have people who follow individual boards of mine that don’t necessarily follow everything I pin. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but only about 10%-15% of my followers are people that know me. This means that the potential for getting people’s attention to the point where they choose to follow and repin your content is high. I don’t pin things as much as I used to, but when I did, there was a time when I was getting a handful of new followers every few days.

I say all that just to show you that Pinterest is such a viable and easy option to getting your brand/business’ name out there an interact with people. Now, before you write Pinterest off as being about wedding, baking, and clothes, here are some tips on how to curb your Pinterest activity for your business:

1. Think Outside the Box When Creating Boards – any old company can post articles or pictures about its products, but come on, that’s way too easy and frankly, a bit boring/overdone. Take for example a French company named Carte Noire that makes instant coffee. While they don’t actually have a Pinterest page that I am aware of, there content is all over Pinterest. They have a host of beautifully shot videos showing how to make different gourmet desserts that pair well with their instant coffee (look them up on YouTube). If they were to have a Pinterest page, one of their boards could be called “Dessert & Espresso” as opposed to having a board with pictures of their instant coffee.
  2. Hold contests – this one is easy. Who doesn’t like a bit of healthy and fun competition?
  3. Add a “Pin It” button to your website 
  4. Bundle your social media & cross-promote across all of them
  5. offer coupons on pinterest/pinterest-only deals
  6. Actually Pin Content Regularly!

So hopefully that provides some insight into the fun and interactive world of Pinterest. Here are some articles in case you’d like to do any further reading:

That’s all for now, y’all! My upcoming posts will also talk about Twitter, Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat, and Vine.

Catch ya soon!

Published by

Morgan

Pr/Advertising Student | Social Media & PR Blogger

2 thoughts on “Social Media & Personal PR: Pinterest”

1. I really enjoyed reading the step about “Thinking outside the Box;” I am always reminded that content is truly important and its better to be creative in cases of online PR if you want to stand out from other companies!

2. I can help you grow your business and service. I am professional social media. It’s the million-dollar question for social media managers everywhere. This social media marketing guide explores the most popular platforms and walks you .