Zilker Park Kite Festival Takes Flight Through Social Media

This week I was faced with a tough decision. I had so many options over what event to cover and I had originally planned to pick a city that I have not written about yet but I just could not pass up the opportunity to write about one of my favorite festivals of all time, the Zilker Park Kite Festival!

This year is the 85th annual Zilker Park Kite Festival, which will be taking place this Sunday, March 1st at Zilker Park in Austin Texas. Last year I found out about the festival via Facebook and decided I would go and check it out. BEST DECISION EVER! I jumped in my truck, stopped at the dollar store, picked up 2 kites for a buck, called up the boyfriend, and drove to Zilker Park, not knowing what to expect. When I arrived I looked up, there was a sea of kites; it was like nothing I had ever seen before. Young and old were, from all walks of life, standing side-by-side flying kites.

The first thing I thought was, how in the world did all these people find out about this? It did not take long for me to realize, how could you NOT find out about this. Facebook and Twitter seemed to be filled with “statuses” and “tweets” from people raving about Kite Fest. This year, I expect the same thing to happen. The Zilker Park Kite Festival seems to have a very successful social media, promotional approach going. Their Facebook, and Twitter pages are both very active and they seem to be focusing responding to people’s comments, questions, and encouraging people to stop by. In fact, I took a screen shot of a status they posted on their Facebook page asking people to be sure to “hashtag” #zilkerkitefest and use social media to “capture and share the magic” of Kite Fest. Way to go Zilker Park Kite Festival on using social media to your advantage! I know I will be hash tagging and posting pictures live from the festival!

This Sunday if you can not make it out to Zilker Park, check out what is trending on Twitter in Austin, Texas because I am sure The Zilker Park Kite Festival will be on the list! If you happen to be near Austin, Texas this Sunday stop by the nearest dollar store, pick up a kite or two and meet me at Zilker Park! Trust me you will not regret it!

Zilker Park Kite Fest Links:

Follow my Live tweets during this years Kite Fest: 

Here are a few pictures that I took from the Festival Last Year:

Are you a vendor? Do you know any vendors? 
Promotional items are a great way to get noticed, especially at large events! 
Here are some great ideas of promotional items that would be perfect for the Zilker Kite Festival!

Click on the image to be directly linked to where these, and other great promotional items can be bought.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Zilker Park Kite Festival Takes Flight Through Social Media

1. sbiggs says:

I saw so much social media buzz about the Kite Fest! My Twitter and Instagram especially. It made me so jealous I couldn’t go. I thought the Zilker Park Kite Festival did an awesome job with encouraging the use of social media during this event. It really got people talking and posting about it. I checked out the page on Facebook and I give them an A for engagement with the community.