02 Harmony: Hybrid Collages

As the Harmony project comes to a close, I look back and can say I’ve definitely improved with my collages over time. My analog ones were definitely amateur and simple while my digital ones were a huge improvement and much more creative. Now with the analog-digital hybrid collages, I think I can safely say that I can put together some nice collages.

For this session I’ve made three collages. Unlike my last collages, I decided to not let the dimensions of a piece of paper limit what i could do. This time I made my collages into very complex shapes and each collage is of varying size. During the creation of these collages, a few more were made and ultimately scrapped as I was not satisfied with them. The scrapped ones seemed to simple and reminded me of my first analog collages.

My theme this time around is skulls, both regular and sugar skulls. I think I decided to incorporate skulls into my collages for a number of reasons. One is because a lot of the material objects or photos I had to work with had skulls or skull imagery. The store on SoCo Tesoros was one main contributor to the multitude of skulls. Another reason was that I found the skulls, the sugars skulls especially to be very eye-catching. They just pop out, to me at least, and hold your attention. Lastly, it is October after all, and Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Why not incorporate some Halloween magery into my work?

I will be bringing all three collages to the critique tomorrow. For now, here are three images I took of them. I will edit some better scans of them later.