Oh No Fractions!

Teks:

5th Grade Math

(5.2) Number, operation, and quantitative reasoning. The student uses fractions in problem-solving situations. The student is expected to:

(A) generate a fraction equivalent to a given fraction such as 1/2 and 3/6 or 4/12 and 1/3;

(C) compare two fractional quantities in problem-solving situations using a variety of methods, including common denominators; and

(D) use models to relate decimals to fractions that name tenths, hundredths, and thousandths.

Summary:

The app has 5 fractions options. You can choose to compare, add, subtract, multiply or divide fractions. There will be two fractions, one on the left or right you can swipe to choose LESS, GREATER, or EQUAL when comparing fractions.

This app allows for statistics to be kept. It will say the number of correct operations, how many were wrong, how many successful and unsuccessful attempts were taking to reduce a fraction, and how many times the student need visual support. After each round if you paid for the app you can email yourself (the teacher) the results. If you didn’t pay for the app you can still see the results, you will just have to write them down. Then the statistics can be reset. The teacher also has the option to set the denominator for students. This is great to individualize instruction. The teacher can set a low denominator for struggling students, who need more practice, and a high denominator for students who are exceling.

Developer: Curious Hat
Compatibility: requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.

Cost: there is a free version and a paid version for .99 cents. Can be purchased in the apple app store. 

Lesson Plan/Comprehension Strategy:

My plan for this app is to have students play with it for about 10 minutes. The app will introduce them into the fractions we will be working on that week, and help me assess what they already know and what they will need help with. Then every week I will teach my lesson on fractions.

Week 1: Lesson on Adding Fractions

Week 2: Subtracting Fractions

Week 3: Multiplying Fractions

Week 4: Dividing Fractions

Week 5: Comparing Fractions

After my lesson I will have them use the app, I will use their statistics to assess how well they grasped the concept, where they will need help, and it will allow me to individualize my instruction.

After the lesson and playing with the app I will have students write in their math journals. They will make a T-Chart where they will write what they knew already on one side and what was new to them.

Video Tutorial: 

Link:

https://sites.stedwards.edu/katrinaj-read4343/

One thought on “Oh No Fractions!”

1. I think using this game as an assessment of learning is great idea because it is a fun way for students to show their knowledge instead of feeling like a boring, pressure filled test. Sorry this is short, had to wrap it up 🙂

JS