Hailey Williams

“I’m not registered to vote here because I’m waiting until I go home to register and vote for representatives in my own county in Houston, TX.”
“I have family members running and my hope is that when I return home it will be the same city I fell in love with.”
“I remember being in the booth with my mom. It’s probably more sentimental for me than for other people.”
“My grandma’s parents didn’t want her to march for voter’s rights, but she did it anyways. She’s very passionate about voting and everyone in her family voting. It doesn’t matter if it’s the town dog catcher – she WILL be voting.”

Students at St. Edward’s have many reasons for voting, but for some it’s practically in their blood.

Julissa Rostro

“I have not voted, but I’m planning on it”
“I’m not sure what changes I’d like to see, but I feel like I should vote since I just turned 19 and this is the first time I can. The election will certainly be interesting.”

Sara Coffee

“I’m out of state and I didn’t get to fill out the absentee ballots on time, I’m from California.”
“Honestly, I have an apathetic view at this point. It’s going to suck regardless.”
“I haven’t thought too far into it. From what I’ve seen of the main two candidates, I think that a vote is a way to say what you want. If you have two bad options, you’re choosing between the less of two evils and you’re not actually accomplishing anything you want. There needs to be a change in that mentality. People vote because they think it’ll make a difference.”
“In comparison to elections in the past, there’s a lot of weight on this one. People have been more divided and emotional. In my opinion, both candidates are corrupt.”

Jimmy Stewart

“I did an absentee ballot for Bexar County in San Antonio, where I’m from.”
“Travis County has more of a chance of going blue whereas it’s more of a toss up in San Antonio. I figured I’d cast my vote where my interests lie.”
“I’m glad the election is going to be over. It goes on forever and it just divides everyone.”
“I would like for politics to be less partisan in the United States. Whatever the majority of the people want should be the law regardless of how I feel about it. Whatever is the consensus to be the rule. Beyond that, I’m not sure how to feel.”
“There’s nothing wrong with the two party system. It’s not going to change so there’s no sense in fussing about it.”
“My major is bioinformatics but I’m really interested in politics. As a science major, I tend to side with facts. I try to get as many facts as I can and draw the most logical conclusions I can. Not a whole lot of emotion goes into my decisions as far as who I vote for.”

Stewart Saborilo & Liz Gulley

Stewart: “I voted for the first time, this election is very interesting”
Liz: “I also voted for the first time, and I think concerned is a good way of putting how I feel about the election.”
Stewart: “I hope there will be more government efficiency.”
Liz: “I hope the country doesn’t turn awful and authoritarian.”
Stewart: “It’s been overwhelming on social media. One thing I’m looking forward to is not seeing people’s strong opinions in my face every day.”
Liz: “Yeah. Everyone has just been very fired up. People fight instead of talking about the things that matter.”
Liz: “It’s always important to vote but more so now than before. It’s so heavily weighted on each side. If you don’t vote, you’re throwing your vote away. That won’t help anyone.”
Liz: “I’m in comparative politics right now which has been talking about all different types of democracies. For example, how electoral democracies differ from others which has been interesting to learn about while the election has been going on.”