Some basic news writing stuff here: Remember to write short sentences and short paragraphs.Put all quotes in their own paragraphs. Keep yourself out of news stories (don’t write in the third person, “I”) and don’t write a concluding paragraph. It’s ok to end a news story on a quote or to just end it, but don’t tie it up with a bow the way you learn to do it in an essay writing/comp class.

Turning 18 this year meant that new voices could finally be heard, as many freshman students at St. Edward’s University followed the elections closely and are anxiously awaiting the results.

New paragraph here: Cailey Collinsworth, a freshman student studying English Writing & Rhetoric, said she was “feeling okay” about the election, but is nervous about the results. She felt that no matter who she voted for does not really matter. since

New paragraph here: “Nobody is happy about who you voted, one way or another,” she said.

She’s Collinsworth said she has been following the election since the primaries and was eager to vote. She registered in December. , being registered recently in December of 2015.

Another freshman student, Carlie Pouwers, is this how she spells her name?  is double-majoring in Digital Media Management. She said that  and Marketing, explained that she’s been worried since the start. She said she felt good about voting today but her hopes were higher during the primaries.

New paragraph here: “Once the summer hit and Donald Trump was closer to becoming the Republican nominee, that’s when I lost hope,” she said. told me. Don’t use the first person in news stories.

My last freshman I interviewed was Therese Pang, a Criminology major, who cast her ballot during early voting. Early Voting.

“I’m just worried for the nation as a whole” she said. explained, “I can’t believe Trump actually became the nominee after it seemed almost too comical to become a reality.”

Pang is orignally from California. , so Being in the red state of Texas has opened her eyes to a new body of voters. After I asked how she thinks she will feel the morning of tomorrow she replied, How will she feel after the election?

“I guess I’ll be freaked out or fine. Judging by who is president,” she said.

Even though these girls are new to voting, they can understand the importance of voting to make a difference for this country. Staying educated and following the candidates is something everyone should do before deciding who to vote for. But, it’s safe to say, anxieties are at its highest here at St. Edward’s and the rest of this nation. Don’t write concluding paragraphs in news stories. You can end on a quote.

CUNEO