VISU 1100: Blog Post #4

Having the upperclassmen come into class and present their work was very eye-opening. Seeing their professional websites, how they lay out their content, and especially how they chose to present it to us made me realize that in order to be a successful artist, I must have a portfolio that has the same qualities as theirs. These qualities include being easy to read, having enough information for the viewer and having it arranged in a way that is organized and clear, and having a neutral background.

Pip & Pop

Pip & Pop, also known as Tanya Schultz, is an Australian artist who creates rather large installations using candy, bright colors, and found objects. I chose her website because of the simpleness of the layout which still maintains her colorful artistic theme. The white background doesn’t take away from the content of her images and the information of each image is provided directly below it, making it easy to find. The task-bar is also placed next to header of her website, making it easier to navigate.

Laura Callaghan

Laura Callaghan is an Irish artist who is known for her pop art styled portraits which depict women being ‘unconventional’. I chose her website because of her organization of her images in collections. She has sorted them all into specific tabs which indicates how each image in the collection is related to each other (i.e. if the group of images were all in the same exhibition). I also enjoy the readability of the layout and how the navigation is always in the top left corner.

Tenderfoot Studio

Tenderfoot studio is a tattoo parlor owned by artist Pony Reinhardt in Oregon. I chose her website because of the layout of information- I liked how she had a photo with the header and a small description underneath, as well as a link on the bottom inviting the viewer to explore the page. It is very user-friendly and I also enjoy the neutral color palette, as well as the links in the top right corner to help direct the viewer to other pages.

Logic

Logic, also kown as Young Sinatra, Bobby Tarantino, or Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, is a rapper from Maryland. I chose this fan-created website because I honestly thought it was his official website for the longest time. It is very professional and sleek- on the right side-bar are links to various updates from Logic, and upon scrolling down, you are able to see blog posts with pictures of his recent tour, new merchandise and opportunities to meet him. The website also maintains a dark color palette which doesn’t take away from the quality of the photos.