Graphic Design II: Delight

videoposter

For this assignment in Graphic Design II we were given the instructions to pick one of the locations from our previous rules project, and design a travel poster relating to it. We were instructed to use vivid language and restricted  in our use of graphic elements.  Knockout was the font used. The goal of the assignment was to become more familiar with not only relating your language use to your specific location, but also to become more familiar with altering type. We had previously studied a variety of type designs and were becoming more and more familiar with typeface alternation.

We also were assigned the task of making a 30-second video, documenting our experience at our spot.  We were given the restrictions of only using straight cuts as well as natural sounds or royalty free audio. The assignment required us to incorporate elements from our travel poster to be used as the title card within our video.

By this time I had become more familiar with the use of sound and imagery as well as becoming more comfortable altering typeface.

For my location I chose graffiti hill. After being assigned the video project, I immediately knew I wanted to pick this location because it’s a place so rich with color and local culture.

The trickiest part for me in the design process of making the travel poster was not being able to use imagery. It was difficult for me but it also pushed me to become more experience with altering typeface. Adding ornamentation to the type as well as drawing a connection to the location itself was difficult for me, but in the long run I ended up loving the experience and gaining more comfortability with connecting a subject matter to type.

I also had some serious issues with the vinyl cutter at the end, but overall I was happy with the way my poster turned out.

I really enjoyed and learned a lot with the video assignment end to this project. It allowed me to recognize how important planning is, having an image of how you want your video to look, and implementing that. The use of storyboards and outlining each component to the filming process really helped me in the long run. Prior to this assignment, I was not comfortable with video assignments, but the way the project was laid out and being able to take it one step at a time, I was happy with the final project. This assignment allowed me to realize all the elements that go into video projects. We had to draw a connection with sound to our location, explore the different perspectives of filming, create an organized plan and implement it, as well as become more familiar with the editing process to digital filming. I learned a tremendous amount throughout the course of this assignment, and was proud of the end result and how much I learned throughout the length of this project.