Destruction of Chemical Weaponry Stockpile

This week I focused my Diigo posts on the destruction of the chemical weaponry facilities in Syria. The first article I posted from i24 news, written on March 3, 2015, is very hopeful towards the destruction of all chemical warfare facilities and products. The article states that 1300 metric tons have already been destroyed and that they are expecting to have the thirteen above ground facilities, five underground facilities, and many aircrafts to be destroyed by the summer of 2015. Additionally, two of the facilities have already been destroyed. The second article from U.S. News has a different outlook on the destruction of the chemical weaponry stockpile. This article is more skeptical and believes that it is entirely possible for Syria and in particular the Islamic State to have hidden stockpiles and is concerned about the discrepancy between what we know and what actually exists. The two articles are about the destruction of the chemical stockpiles in Syria, but one article is optimistic and the other is pessimistic. There are many more articles that show similar views to both types and even a mix of the views that I have come across. After reading the different articles I believe that it is a good thing that Syria has handed over so much of its stockpile, which helps in reducing chemical warfare threat, but I firmly believe that they are deceiving the United States and the United Nations in regards to the amount of stock pile that they have and will likely not disclose the information of the hidden facilities that likely exist. My blog and Diigo posts relate back to lecture through The Route of Moderate Rebels Leaves Obama with Vexing Syria Options article from Foreign Policy. The article discusses different ways the Obama administration is using to help out the Syrian rebels. In the article the tactics include creating a safe zone and arming Syrian rebels. The article does not include the tactic of eliminating chemical weapons and facilities but it is another way in which the U.S. and the UN are helping the Syrian rebels.