Background on the Syrian Civil War

This week I decided to focus my Diigo posts on learning the reasoning behind the Syrian civil war and additional background information in regards to the war. This first article  I posted on Diigo is from BBC news. It provided eight miniature chapters about different aspects of the civil war. There is information pertaining to the proxy war, peace efforts, rebels and the rise of jihadists, humanitarian crisis, chemical weapons, war crimes, descent into civil war, and when the uprising turned violent. This link seemed to mainly be unbiased but only mentioned the positive acts of the rebels and the negative acts of the regime. Opposingly, the second article I posted on Diigo gave the negative acts of both the regime and the rebels. It clearly stated how most believe the rebels to be the victims simply fighting for their freedom. However, both the regime and the rebels have been accused of killing innocent civilians throughout the bloody civil war. It was interesting getting to read the two different accounts on the Syrian civil war. Almost all of the bookmarks I have made on Diigo have made the rebels out as the innocent victims. I still believe that the regime is making Syria unlivable for many and exceptionally dangerous but now I see both sides of the story. This information relates back to lecture through the chapter in Diaries of an Unfinished Revolution, “And the Demonstrations Go On: Diary of an Unfinished Revolution (Syria)”. This chapter focused on the Syrian Civil War through the accounts of Khawla Dunia. The chapter looks into themes that help in understanding the Syrian civil war such as censorship, fear, frustration, role of the media, and much more. This chapter helped me understand more about the Syrian war just as my articles did.