Different Points of View – OPCW

Two of my articles I posted on Diigo this week both pertain to Syria joining the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW). The first article was posted on October 14, 2013 in The Hindu. The article stated that Syria joined OPCW and with the joining had to eliminate their chemical weapons, including all stocks and related facilities. The hope is that by joining OPCW fewer fatalities will occur in Syria through chemical warfare against its civilians. The second article was posted in August of 2014. It is a first hand account of the Syrian attacks in Damascus from a survivor and his thoughts about Syria joining the OPCW. Sadly, the survivor stated that with the removal of chemical warfare would come different war tactics such as starvation. The survivor is reaching out to the United States in hopes for helping Syrian civilians in an unfair battle between the Assad regime and the people of Damascus. Both articles that I posted are related through the discussion of the OPCW but have different points of view. The first article is hopeful that the joining of OPCW will help Syria but the second article counteracts the first by referring to the new war tactic of starvation. Reading the different points of view makes me think about the other articles I have posted in the past and makes me wonder what the different sides/arguments are to those. It makes me curious as to the difference of what we are told is going on in Syria versus what is actually occurring. I  think that we will never truly understand the complete story. These articles relate back to lecture to the movie “The Square”. Although my blog is about Syria, and the movie is about Egypt, I see a connection though the attitude of the Damascus survivor and the attitude of the individuals featured in the film. In the film with every victory came yet another battle to fight. It is the same for the Damascus survivor. Although he made it out alive from Damascus and there is a possibility of removing the problem of chemical weapons through the OPCW, there will be more problems to come and more battles to face.