VISU1311: Creativity Blog #3

I really enjoyed the audio/videos for this reflection. One concept I think carried over all three media was the idea of not representing in a one-on-one way. Amy Tan first bought up the idea when talking about her poodle drawing claiming that it was good but not creative. Spoon actively did this when using other artists to influence their demo and song. To me, Dan Brackage did it in the video by the way he chose to visually represent his ideas. This an idea I find very important in my own art. I spent most of my life drawing everything one-to-one. When I was younger, I would pull up images online and try to copy them myself. This is good for learning skills, but not for building creativity. Overtime, I have changed to find qualities of other things or art that I like and remember them for uses later. This is similar to what Spoon did when remaking their demo in different styles.

Something Amy Tan talked about in her TED talk was the nature of accidents and their importance in the creative process. Spoon also had this happen when including things like bongos or when they talked about just throwing ideas out there. Currently when working, I like the idea of using accidents. Starting making things is very hard. It is much easier to just go for it, and then work to create something out of what you have. This is something I am doing right now in sculpture and that I do while working with ink. You don’t always get to have complete control over the materials, so you have to use the unintentional and the accidents to form something intriguing and interesting. This process is adding meaning to something and not making something of an existing meaning in your head.