Both of these collages were created for my second Visual studies project. They are meant to demonstrate the coexistence of living and non-living things. This idea was derived from my experience of South Congress and the way in which I have captured it through these two projects. My perspective of South Congress is that it is one location containing many interactions in one area which includes the coexistence of living and non-living things. My collages contain photographs of South Congress and scans of things I found on South congress. I utilized these materials in order to take non-living and living things and put them together to create scenes that are living (collage 2) and non-living (collage 1).In my first final collage I used my scans of trash and my photographs of plants to create the living scene of a flower on a hill. I used a newspaper I found on South Congress as the background, which I scanned in motion in order to give it a “living” effect.

VISU1311 Project #2 Collage Adriance Rhoades

VISU1311 Project #2, Collage 1, Adriance Rhoades

In my first collage I decided to reconstruct my image of the leaves with the cup and the of the newspaper on the ground in order to create the shape of mountains by cutting and pasting triangle shapes. Then I tore the newspaper I found into cloud shapes wherever I could find an address that included South Congress street. Both of these processes created the non-living mountain scene shown in this collage.

VISU1311 Project #2, Collage, Adriance Rhoades

VISU1311 Project #2, Collage 2, Adriance Rhoades

In my second collage I used my scans of trash and my photographs of plants to create the living scene of a flower on a hill. I used a newspaper I found on South Congress as the background, which I scanned in motion in order to give it a “living” effect.