0

Graphic Design I – Mapping Project (Artifact Map)

Chloropleath (1) (1)    

This assignment was to create either a directional or chloropleth map. We first reviewed maps and determined that anything can be mapped and the mapmaker has the power to determine the purpose of the map. We discussed several components of maps, including icons, text, matrix, network, points, nested layers, and coordinates prior to creating our own directional maps. The project was a completed 11×17 map, constructed in Illustrator.

I was drawn to the chloropleth maps, a matrix or zone on a map connected with data (ex: population density, per capita, etc.) so I did not create a directional map. I created a map in Illustrator with matrixes determined by counties in Texas, and bound each matrix to specific data for that zone. My completed map was 11×17 and did not include many of the components of maps listed above because I did not create a directional map.

I knew from the beginning I wanted to create a chloropeth map, but I was unsure of what data I wanted to present. I struggled to choose between dietary zones, traffic congestion, Wi-Fi signal, or school zones before I decided on No Kill v. Kill animal shelters by county in Texas. The most cumbersome part of the process was collecting all the data. I researched the number of No-Kill and Kill shelters by county and created an Excel sheet of the data. Once I had the data, it was relatively easy to create the map. I took a map of Texas divided by county and used the opacity tool to shade the appropriate color density per county. The more dense of color, the more animal shelters the county had.

I made several decisions when creating this map. First, I decided I wanted to create a chloropleth map rather than a directional. Most of my peers went with a directional map, so a majority of my time was spent collecting the data rather than designing. I also had to decide what data I wanted to present, and how to effectively portray it. As an avid promoter of animal welfare in support of No-Kill shelters, I wanted to show both No-Kill and Kill shelters in each county. I decided I would use a circle that varied in size according to the number of No-Kill shelters, and place it within each county zone. I then picked colors I found appealing together and created a legend for the users convenience.

The concept behind my design is very simple, and I think that is evident in the design itself. My map is a source of information, so I made it easy to understand and not too overpowering to look at. On the other hand, the colorfulness and simplicity of the design enhance the content by making it more interesting to read than a bolder map with contrasting colors.

Artifact Map

adavies