VISU 1100: Audrey Kawasaki

Audrey Kawasaki born on March 31, 1982 is a Japanese-American living in Los Angeles, California. Most of her art are oil paintings on wood. Kawasaki’s paintings are known for portraying young girls that have an innocent, but erotic aura to them. Her art is inspired by Art Nouveau and the Japanese cartoon style. In this interview by Whitney May, Kawasaki talks about her paintings and her feelings behind them.

I really like her work because of her use of wood instead of canvas. As she said in NY Arts Magazine the “wood really lends itself to the atmosphere of the painting”. Which I agree with. If it was painted on canvas I feel it would have a totally different feeling.

Things Unsaid

Things Unsaid, Audrey Kawasaki, oil, ink, and graphite on wood 16 Scope Basel art fair with Thinkspace Gallery 2013

It Was You, Audrey Kawasaki, oil, graphite, and ink on wood panel 24″x24″ ‘Hirari Hirari’ at Merry Karnowsky Gallery 2014

Ponderer

Ponderer, Audrey Kawasaki, oil, graphite, and ink on wood panel 18″x30″ Thinkspace Gallery SCOPE Miami Beach Art Fair 2013

Where I Rest

Where I Rest, Audrey Kawasaki, oil and graphite on wood panel 24″x36″ Merry Karnowski Gallery “Restlessly Still” 2011