Things to Consider Before Your First Day at a New Job

A few weeks ago I went on an interview for a potential summer internship.  Though the interview was slightly daunting, I am proud to say that I got the job!  If you want some great tips on what to do in an interview go check out NYC PR Girls’ article http://nycprgirls.com/how-to-stand-out-in-an-interview/.

Over Spring Break, I did training everyday at the office, so I would be prepared for the job to begin in the summer.  This is my first official 9-5 type of job, so I must admit that I was a bit nervous on the first day.  I found that everyone was actually very welcoming and eager to help me get settled into the office.  Though I felt as prepared as I could be on the first day of work, there were some things I wish I would have thought about before leaving for work.  Below you will find a list I compiled of things to consider before your first day at a new job.

1.  What is the dress code at the office?  For an interview or your first big day, it is always best to go overdressed than underdressed.  Layering is a great option for ladies.  If you wear a dress and a blazer, you can always take the blazer off if the atmosphere feels more laid back.  I must say that I love heels, but after a long day at the office, especially if you have to walk around, your little feetsies will be tired.  I suggest bringing a ballet flat in a neautral color if you think your fabulous high heels will not be tolerable through the whole day.  It is not acceptable to be walking around without shoes at any point, no matter how much your feet hurt!

2.  Lunch plans?  It is hard to tell whether you will be somewhat expected to eat in the office cafeteria or to go out to lunch with coworkers.  On my first day, I brought a sandwich and put it in the fridge.  I figured that if I ended up going out with my new office friends I would just eat the sandwich for dinner.  It is better to bring a small something to eat, just in case everyone eats at the office.

3.  Plans for later that night?  While I am definitely an early riser, and someone who certainly wakes up unexplainably chipper in the mornings, by Thursday morning I am not thrilled about waking up early to get ready for work.  By Friday, I am hitting the snooze button at least 5 times!  Nonetheless, we must still go to the office, tired and all.  Consider why you are so tired in the morning.  Are you getting enough sleep at night?  You might enjoy staying up and watching a late night movie, or going to get a few drinks with friends the night before work, but you might not agree with that decision in the morning.  Though we aren’t kids anymore, it is a good idea to have a set bedtime to make sure you get enough hours of sleep to be on the ball at work the next day.  Nobody likes that grumpy morning person in the office!

What are some things that you wish you knew before starting your job?  Are there any tips you can give a budding professional?  General thoughts or comments?  Leave them below!  🙂

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Things to Consider Before Your First Day at a New Job