Lady Beetles

4/3/17

One of the reasons I love going to school in Austin is that I can study outside most days. There’s a table by the St. Edward’s Wet Pond under a large gnarled oak tree that is perhaps my favorite spot to do work. It’s quiet, and there’s a great view. I’d recommend studying there to anyone. One catch: there’s a lot of bugs. I really don’t mind when bugs crawl over my books or over me. There isn’t an overwhelming amount, and none of them are harmful (although I do try to stay as far away as I can from red ants). Anyways, on this day there were so many of these bugs. They were so cute, but I had no idea what they were! When this was identified as a ladybug, I thought, “No way!” That couldn’t be right. This led me to do some research. These little guys were ladybug larvae. I had no idea they looked so different from adult ladybugs. I was thrilled to learn about the ladybug life cycle. This made me appreciate this project. I wouldn’t have come across this information in any of my Econ classes. This is a really fun, interactive way to learn about the science I run into on a day-to-day basis.

iNaturalist: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/5558817