LoBueNicole Blog Post #7

1. Create a four-year degree plan. How will this major help you prepare a career in the future? Do you have a back up plan if this major doesn’t work out?

So, currently I’m in my Freshman year at St. Edward’s University with 7% of my degree progress requirements complete and 19% of my degree progress credits complete, according to Degree Works. I plan to major in Interactive Game Studies (IGST) so I can work toward a career in the video game industry. Not just for entertainment purposes, though. I value the potential medical benefits that video games have–for example, acting as a natural pain-killer for burn victims. The games serve as a distraction while the patient’s bandages are changed, thus diverting focus from the painful process being performed. I’m also interested in promoting the social aspects of online gaming. Through multiplayer online games, I’ve formed bonds with people I never would have met otherwise. I want to be able be a part of the creation of such environments.

Honestly, I haven’t thought very much about a back up plan for if this major doesn’t work out. Perhaps I’m putting too much faith in it, but I can’t foresee it not working out. I’m willing to put in the effort to be able to have a job in the future doing something I love while still being able to potentially make an impact on other peoples’ lives for the better.

2. Do you have a minor or have you considered a second major? If so, what is it and why do you think this will be a beneficial choice? If not, identify at least one minor or major degree option that you are interested in. Explain why you chose this option.

I decided to minor in Business Administration. If I’m going into the video game industry, I’d better be prepared for some serious competition. Having a minor in business can help give me an edge in the working world and the knowledge to climb the ranks, so to speak, from newbie to head of some department.