Interaction Design: AR Experience

This project helped me to understand augmented reality and designing an experience for the St. Edward’s community and visitors. It was a fast paced project

Historical Context:

This photo is of students studying and conversing on the lawn in front of Main Building at St. Edward’s University. The photo seems to have been taken in the mid 60s. Women arrived at St. Edward’s in 1966 as students for Maryhill College, a coordinate institution. By 1970, Maryhill was absorbed and St. Edward’s became a co-educational institution. At the time the President of the University, President Fleck incorporated intercultural possibilities at St. Edward’s by bringing students to campus from Latin America who wanted to study at the university. As well in 1970 the Board of Trustees authorized a theater major and a masters of business administration. Uniquely St. Edward’s offered evening classes for students of the master of business administration to accommodate working students. Today students regularly work in group projects with other classmates and enjoy class outdoors when professors allow. Lots of tree’s now occupying main lawn, and main building has received a few face lifts, but it still has its old charm and history intact. 

Brand group:

Name: Amplified Reality 
Tagline: See the past through the present 
Elevator Pitch: Amplified Reality is an augmentative experience that merges a physical location at St. Edward’s University with a historical photograph of that same location so that users are able to see and experience history in real time. When a user’s camera identifies a certain location on campus, a historical photograph from the archives at St.Edward’s overlays the space, allowing the user to be transported back in time. 

Final Assessment

what did you already know about type, before attending this class?

Before entering this class I had a base foundation from typography 1. I knew about the different styles of type (old style, slab, serif, sans serif, et.c). I would say that I didn’t pay much attention to the importance of typography however. I wasn’t paying attention to type crimes and niceties, however now I am conscious of those things and am aware that I need to pay close attention to them.

how does this class fit in and expand what you already knew?

This class expanded my knowledge of using multiple typefaces together and establishing hierarchy with them. It helped me to discern what goes well together and what doesn’t, although I still to believe I have a lot to learn. This class helped me expand my knowledge by thinking about type in a different dimension and using it to create a message when necessary.

what did you love about the semester?

I loved that this semester I was challenged. I think every semester presents a new challenge for me and I get to expand my knowledge and learn something new. I loved that I was able to use after effects because although I hated it while using it, it was a very cool program to dive into and now I feel I have a whole other opportunity with design. I also liked that this semester we were able to really organize ourselves and develop plans for how we would accomplish projects. It helped me to understand that deadlines are important and refinement is really necessary.

do you “see” it? what are the pieces of “it”? how do they fit together?

I see a lot of things. There are also a lot of pieces. In terms of design there’s a lot going on, and you have to keep your eyes wide open, and even then you won’t see it all. I’m assuming by pieces you mean everything. The pieces are the time, the work, the skills, the 10,000 hours and everything in between. In terms of this last project, there were a lot of pieces. The type, the hierarchy, the grids, the color, the images, those god awful ads, the people, the titles, the time, the places, the days, the speakers, the moderators, the panelists the sponsors. There was a lot going on. How do they fit together… they do… if you distinguish them … and find the right balance.

did you ask enough questions? did you get enough answers?

I think I asked enough questions, and I liked getting answers. I enjoyed that sometimes we had to answer our own questions as that happened a lot in the real world, and I’m glad also that when I needed help I was able to get the help that I needed.

are you putting in enough practice time?

At the beginning of the semester I felt that I could be putting in more time. However these past couple months I have definitely felt a difference in my work ethic and getting things done when they need to get done. I think having free time after class gave me a lot of time to keep working and as well going to the lab, and participating in extracurricular activities. I feel proud of the time and work that I have put in and I know with more time i’ll keep growing and learning things.

are you getting enough feedback?

I think I do get a lot of feedback, but I think I would be good to get more. I think it would be helpful to have people question our work and ask us why we made certain choices, that way we can be aware of our decisions and think critically to see whether or not we made the best choice. I enjoy getting feedback because it helps me think about my actions as a designer and the choices that I am making.

were you part of class crits?

Yes. Although I don’t think many of my classmates were so it was kinda hard to get good feedback from them. I think class critiques are really important because as jimmy would say it calls our work into crisis and helps us reevaluate. I do wish my classmates took them more seriously because I think it would have been very beneficial for us.

were you at desk crits?

Yes. I think i missed one because I was sick, but I was there for most and they really helped me to stay on track and think about where I was going.

is your life in order?

I would like to think so. I think it’s a little chaotic sometimes, but i enjoy every minute of it and the challenges that it brings. I don’t like when I’m not busy so I think I have a lot of things under control.

how could Tuan’s class be a more creative and fun place to be?

Tuan I like you class and the fact that we get to do work in you class. You always offer good insight and talk about things going on outside of the classroom. You give us suggestions and guide us but you don’t baby us and I like that you expect us to show up with the work and ready to go. I enjoyed having you as a teacher and you have taught me a lot about myself and the possibilities that lie ahead. I am looking forward to being on the board with Command G and seeing what sorts of events and things we can start.

how much have you grown? what is the distance between yourself at the beginning of the semester and now?

I feel that I have grown so much this semester. I feel more confident in myself and I feel I’ve developed a good work ethic. I learned things that I didn’t already know and as well continued to develop the things that I already knew. I am pushed to put in the hard work and I know at times it isn’t easy, but I love that I get to learn about something I am passionate about and enjoy doing.

Weather Report

For this project I designed LATCH structures to make a weather report. This project was by far one of the hardest projects that I have completed. It was my first time using After Effects. I designed this weather report to flow seamlessly from one structure category to the next, without any content leaving the page so that the viewer could easily follow along. This project combined many aspects of my knowledge and learning from all of my graphic design classes.

Zine

This project was based off of the truism that I wrote, “Life is a Vulnerable Game. Don’t be Afraid to Play it.” This truism was inspired by important life lessons that I have learned. Using this truism I designed a two-color risograph zine. I scanned, drew, and altered fresh pressed flowers to create the images within the zine as well as created my own typeface. The zine also contains a poster on the backside when unfolded which I drew using a wacom tablet. This project taught me how to use the risograph and as well design in two colors. Designing this project helped me to design with constraints and as well alter craft.

Interface

For this project I redesigned the interface of Microsoft Word for a mobile device, focusing specifically on the “Home” and “Layout” tabs. I used Google’s Material Design to guide my design. As part of the design process I created many paper prototypes to organize the list of user interface elements. Throughout this project I considered the needs of a mobile user and the constraints of the device. I wanted the user of this app to be able to multitask and draft documents easily as well as be able to export multiple drafts to a desktop for further revisions.

Preppy Photos/Book

This project was originally done in a team. I chose to alter this project by designing my own preppy magazine look book. My process for this project included studying the Official Preppy Handbook and then transforming my classmates and myself into “Preps.” I planned and designed a preppy photo shoot picking out clothes, makeup and location of the photo shoot with the help of my team members. I wanted the Magazine to be picture focused, with minimal/no typography.

Plotter Poster

For this project I created a set of rules that modified a single letter from the typeface Tungsten. I then traded rule sets with class members from my Image Methodology course. We then each individually altered the Tungsten typeface using the traded rule sets. After I plotted the results of the rule-based design using the Graphtec CE-5000 plotter on a sheet of black 18×24 paper. This project made me critically write down and decipher my design thoughts. Using the rule set allowed me to focus on the design elements and push my classmates vision.

Mapping Project: Cognitive Map (decisions decisions)

This map was designed to help individuals decide if a tradition, whether personal, family or national belief should be followed, tweaked or trashed. The map was designed to help people think critically about their actions and the consequences/ effects that their actions may have on others in society. This map really pushed me to think critically about symbol/ icon making. I wanted the design to be easy to follow and allow for in depth thinking by the reader.