Make Like a Tree and Leave- Summer 2015 Blog

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 12.13.25 AMThis summer I spent equal amounts of time traveling to other states as I did in my hometown Dallas, Texas. Making a point to interact with nature and establishing routinely visits outside to stroll, run, or simply sit encompassed by natural areas has had a profound effect. This effect of nature on the human psyche has been historically reflected upon in literature repeatedly. For example, “those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. … There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.” (Carson. Silent Spring) Living in touch with natural surroundings I believe is somewhat a task in the sense it is not as accessible nowadays. Due to the increase of urbanization and less emphasis on the incorporation of the existing environment, is causing the shift from nature & chill to Netflix & chill.

In the beggining of June I spent time in Chicago, Illinois- some of which was spent in the depths of urban areas and the rest of the time exploring the city’s natural areas. One of the most comprehensive in terms of plant species was the Millenium Park. Containing the infamous “bean” and water installations, many tourists often overlook the Lurie Garden. This area was in full bloom with breathtaking perennials, bulbs and (some less breathtaking) shrubs. Some of the identifiable perennials and bulbs visible in the summer months were giant hyssops, coneflowers, hostas, and winged loosestrifes. Downtown Chicago was visible from the center of the garden, somewhat architecturaly parallel to Zilker Park in Austin.

Lucie Garden Lurie Garden

During the end of June and part of July, I remained in Dallas, Texas. One of my best friends (who happens to be infatuated with nature to the point where he’s considering tattooing trees on his legs) (*cough* Chris Frasquieri) came to visit, and we went to Klyde Warren Park. Opening in 2012, this area in the middle of Downtown Dallas serves as a environmental haven for many people who live smack dab in the middle of the city. Containing a multitude of Bald Cypress trees, a native Texas shade tree, the park is beautifully derived from surrounding Texas flora. This is a prime example of creating a space for people to enjoy while the environment flourishes, as Aldo Leopold stated, “When we see land as a community to which we belong. We may begin to use it with love and respect.” (Leopold. Sand County Almanac) Food trucks from local vendors surround the streets near the park, Chris and I had an amazing time eating sliders and watching 300 other people be more active than us in a group yoga session in the grassy area of the park.

A few weeks later a close friend and myself made a mini road trip to Fossil Rim, a wildlife preserve open to the public. Fossil Rim is an hour and a half outside of Dallas, TX in Glen Rose and is a nationally acclaimed wildlife preserve where you are able to drive through on trails and feed exotic animals from the enclosure of a vehicle. Established in the early 1980s, their mission is to “participate in a worldwide network of wildlife conservation organizations working to restore the delicate balance between people, animals and the environment.” Visiting Fossil Rim in late July, many of the animals were exhausted from the heat. Due to them receiving scheduled meals in addition to the food visitors provide, laziness won over the promise of more food and many were not eager to interact. During the entire 9-10 mile trail, my friend Zoe and I saw a number of amazing animals including hoof stock, birds, carnivores, and native Texas wildlife. One of the most hilarious yet gross (but also cute) moments was a giraffe sticking his head through our sun roof and licking up all the animal feed. We also interacted with some emus and I can say with full confidence- I really hate those birds…

giraffe encounter

the giraffe encounter

As the summer continued on and temperatures continued to rise, I packed up my things to stay with a friend in Encinitas, California. This surfer town is on the edge of the water and is home to many palm trees as well as a constant ocean breeze; needless to say, it is one of the best places to vacation. However, the friend I was visiting is not a “sit on the beach and chill” kind of person and we spent my time constantly on the go and exploring. One morning she suggested we go on a hike to see the famous ledge in San Diego appropriately named “The Potato Chip” due to its striking similarity from afar, I agreed nonchalantly. Little did I know that I was about to embark on the hardest feat of my adolescent life, a 10 mile hike half of which was on such a steep incline I was partly rock-climbling at an extremely high altitude. My friend has been hiking since she could walk and this hike was difficult for her…So yes I legitimately was convinced I was dying that day.

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 10.50.28 AM

the potato chip (picture flipped to make us look cooler)

Finally, I spent the remaining time of summer before venturing to Europe, in Holland, Michigan. It is an annual tradition that my mom’s side of the family will rent a cottage and gather every year for a week on Lake Michigan. It is a beautiful area with a great amount of sand dunes as well as local forestation. We often spend the week relaxing on the lakeside, hiking nearby trails, as well as exploring the local town Saugatuck. One of the things I really love about spending time on Lake Michigan is how much respect is put on the surroundings and urbanization is placed second to the needs of the land and how it would affect the population. This is a huge stride and “over and over again, we must stress that a healthy ecology is the basis for a healthy economy.” (Schneider. To Nonviolent Political Science) Places such as Holland, Michigan I believe will inspire individuals across the U.S. and globe to bring back these ideals to their own hometowns and will hopefully cause a ripple effect.

view from cottage

view from cottage

We as a society maintain a dichotic view of us versus our environment, “it arrises out of a generalized attitude of respect for our natural surroundings, and of concern about how best to preserve those qualities that are essential to “naturalness”” (Bess. Light Green Society) I previously mentioned Aldo Leopold realizing this fascinating disconnect of people and the natural environment and I believe in holding studies and collecting data that illustrate the beneficial and even necessity of being in touch with nature and preserving the environment for not only the sake of the environment itself, but for us as people.

Bess, Michael. The Light-green Society: Ecology and Technological Modernity in France, 1960-2000. Chicago: U of Chicago, 2003. Print.

Leopold, Aldo, Charles Walsh Schwartz, and Aldo Leopold. A Sand County Almanac. With Other Essays on Conservation from Round River. New York: Oxford UP, 1966. Print

Paige, Glenn D. To Nonviolent Political Science: From Seasons of Violence. Honolulu, Hawaiʻi: Center for Global Nonviolence Planning Project, Matsunaga Institute for Peace, U of Hawaiʻi, 1993. Print.

Carson, Rachel, Lois Darling, and Louis Darling. Silent Spring. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1962. Print.

Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. “Wildlife Preserve.” Fossil Rim Wildlife Center. Fossil Rim