Hey Nature, hold up!

In a book we read for our field course that my MSEM cohort is currently taking in Costa Rica this summer titled “Tropical Nature”, Forsyth explains that a trip to the tropics is “an endless stream of information [that] bombards the senses from the richness of tropical nature, yet it arrives as if in a garbled foreign tongue. One is lost without a guide.” I could not agree more. Back in Texas, I’ve become somewhat familiar with forest composition and the different tree species that the state has to offer, as my research that I will conduct this fall deals with managing a few invasive plant species. That being said, the vast amount of vegetation present here that constantly surrounds you along with their endless diversity, is simply overwhelming. The different shades of green and the multitude of different plant species is incredibly beautiful, but hopefully my pictures I took in the rainforest will show you that.

imageimage
At the biological research station, La Selva, that we stayed at last week, a group of four of us worked in their arboretum in attempts to become familiar with identifying a few tropical tree species, and to learn different methods that are used to measure forest health. We spent about two full days wandering the arboretum looking at trees and it honestly felt like we were on a different planet at times; and exploring a tropical rainforest really teaches you how small you are.

image

Due to the very humid and wet climate here, many natural processes occur much faster than they do back in the states, especially in Texas. I’ve never seen so many different epiphytes (plants that grow on trees) coexisting on one tree like it constantly occurs here, and the amount of different wildlife that can be sustained in these forests is remarkable. Also, I was shocked to learn that a portion of a rainforest that we were in was only about 25 years old, despite how much growth had taken place.

image

A specific experience that particularly showcased how the rainforest can surprise you, was when my group was navigating the arboretum identifying trees. As we were walking with our heads tilted towards the sky and not paying attention to things at ground level, we were startled when a tree about 10 feet from us just fell over without warning. As most of us just gasped, my group member, Teresa, shouted in response: “Hey Nature, hold up!” As we chuckled about it shortly and then moved on, I thought her reaction to this was a fitting title for my first post as it perfectly captures how quickly things can happen in a tropical rainforest, and how these occurrences can catch you by surprise. I expect to keep getting surprised by nature throughout this course and I’m looking forward to it. I’ll make sure to keep you updated on these surprises and more, but until next time, hasta luego!