Alumni Prsentations

We had 4 presenter talking in class about what they are doing now and what they have been doing since they graduated from St Ed’s. Also they talked a little about their time in the university and some advices.

The first presenter talked about the wisky business he’s having with his wife. I didn’t really paid attention to his presentation, because I was not really interested in the topic. Also he spoke very soft and didn’t pronounce all the words, and for me -as a non natural English speaker- it was very hard to understand him, so he just lost me from his presentation. The only two things I can really remember of him are that he work in the wisky industry and that he prefers others to to the artistic part of the business (because he said he’s not very good at it).

The second presenter was Rebecca Marino, a Photo Comm Major. She’s part of the Pump Project, which is basically free studios for artists in Austin. She adviced to intern as much as we can, so we can get contacts and experience. She works mostly in photography, but also in sculpture and installation. Her work is inspired by space and the Earth’s history.

The third presenter was Alex Roka. He works in editorial, photography and design. He works forthe agency “Preacher” and its gallery. He said we have to reseach the market and design to stand out. Out there is a fight and you have to work your way up. He was really cute too -nothing to do with his talk, but I had to say it.

This is his site: https://dribbble.com/AlexRoka. And the featured image of this post is his work too.

Taylor Browning was the fourth presenter. She is an Art Major, and she said that being such is not just being an artist, it is also being and admin, accountant, curator, educator, event planner, manager and many other things. SHe highly recomended us to take as many classes as we can, and a lot of classes from other majors too, we have to be broad. She adviced to work on what we are interested on and to show work, present as much as we can. We have to be always creating new projects.

Some Q&A about them…

1. Who did you most relate to? and why?

I think I related a lot to Taylor, the 4th one. I think it has to do with the way she talked and also with the fact that she talked about doing and learning as much as we can. I have always believe that as broad as we are, the better we can do as artists.

2. Who surprised you? and why?

Alex really surprised me. Not only because he is a very attractive guy, but also because he has a working plan, he is clear, his designs are intelligent, he has presence and his work does too. The aesthetic he presents in his works is very similar to what he projects when he is talking. I’ve been looking at some of his work in his webpage, and OMG he is great.

3. What was the most valuable piece of advice you heard today?

“Intern! Get experience! (…) But like for real!” (By the Photo Comm presenter. I am praphrasing, but that’s pretty much what she said).

“Show work. Present. Create projects!” (By Taylor).