Linear exploration of shadows | Ink over paper | 46 x 61 cm

Linear exploration of shadows (Detail)

The goal of this assignment was to freely develop a two-dimensional linear artwork using a sculpture -previously created out of the translation of a blind contour drawing into 3D (Link at the end of this post). The drawing had to be consistent and intentional, resulting in activation of space.

The assignment itself was designed to create out of abstraction and not focusing on a specific idea towards creation. It was a huge contradiction to me, based on my mental process in creation. I think of an idea and I do whatever it takes to develop it.

The problem I had with the assignment was that I had to rely upon what the sculpture and light gave me. But I always find my own way of working and making directions mine. I started to manipulate the shadows of the sculpture and add patterns and values that were not part of the original projections of the sculpture over the paper. Then, I started an investigation of space and line that I would like to work, instead of relying only on what the sculpture gave me. I also applied some aesthetical aspects of Japanese ink works that really interest me, so I could really make this assignment of my own.

Some critiques:

I think the strongest aspect of this work is the level of investigation of space. I based on Japanese ink works to create the effect of a “never-ending” background, that should interest the viewer to the point of wondering what is around, make the viewer want to travel through the space. During class critiques, many of my classmates mentioned they were willing to “walk through the drawing”, so my personal goal was achieved.

The weakest aspect of the piece has to do with this never-ending background. There is just too much going on at the same time. Too many elements that tend to be a little disconnected. To improve the composition I should have had edited a little better. If I do a second version of this work I will deffinitely have this in mind. Conceptually there is not too much I could improve, because for me this assignment had to do more with a plainly technical use of the medium and its relation with the shapes of the shadows. But technically, I would have to edit shapes, repeat a little more some of the most interesting shapes.

Some additional notes: I work much better from ideas to media to finish work. It is very difficult for me to work out of this comfort zone -as I did in this project. But either way I will find a way of transforming something that is out of my comfort zone into my comfort zone.

————-***—————

Link:

https://sites.stedwards.edu/mdelano/2015/09/20/line-inventory/