PART 1

1. The goal of Image One was to take pictures using the psychology surrounding Gestalt, while Image Two was to successfully design a superhero with whom was tangible and incorporated what we had learned during the class (in terms of what we already knew a superhero to be and what we made of it through our own knowledge). The question for Image One was “what aspects of Gestalt are being used?”
  2. In terms of Image One, I believe I provided aspects of “anomally”, “repetition”, and “asymmetricality” within the picture clearly enough to be recognized. In order to accomplish it, I had to go out to South Congress and take pictures of things that could represent Gestalt principles. With Image Two, I reasoned that the basis of many superheroes comes from ancient myths (hence, Wonder Woman and the Greek Mythology of the Amazons). So, I took my favorite Greek goddess Athena, and combined branches and specifics of her powers with that of Medusa’s own (since her story in terms of how the women of Greece learned and taught it really resonated with me). From there, I decided I wanted Serpentine (my superhero) to be culturally diverse and of another race because there weren’t enough diverse members in the well-known factions of superheroes (in my opinion). Along with this, her coloring and mannerisms would make more sense as she was descended from people of like characteristics, and to do otherwise would be “white-washing”.

PART 2

1. The strongest aspect of my superhero work is the origin of Serpentine’s story, along with the effort put in to make a strong baseline of powers and original idea.
  2. The weakest aspect of Serpentine is the sketch design of her clothing and what she looks like in her outfits. I didn’t incorporate an original body outline with what she looked like in her superhero outfit, and I don’t know if her outfit clearly defined enough of what she is or what her powers are or what she stands for. Her colorings weren’t the shades I was intending because I was rushing, and her in superhero form versus her in everyday attire makes her age difference dramatic, while I’d only intended it to be the same age in both circumstances.
  3. Conceptually, I could also incorporate a more solid back-story and go more in-depth with the dance and powers that her ancestors and how she acquired them when her sisters and parents could not. I would also like for her personality to be more complex and thorough, as currently it feels too general or idealistic.
  4. Technically, the project could be strengthened by having her costume fully formed where it stands more for her ideals while also obviously having a baseline for her powers as shown for the reader’s benefit.
  5. I would like for a more powerful portrayal of her in costume and as a person. I would like Serpentine to be less of a typical, expected superhero and give her a more unique personality and countenance. Serpentine I would prefer to not be “broken” and suddenly get powerful with the sudden enhancement of magical/skillful abilities, but rather have her acquire her inner strength through herself and her own accomplishments to help be a better role model for other people and to serve as someone that is more relatable.