Blog Post #5

soco copy

IMG_8558 copy

This assignment is for my Visual Studies class. The assignment was for students to make 2D collages using Photoshop. The 2D collage had to be created using our own photos from a previous a assignment which was taking photographs out on South Congress. I was intimidated when first assigned this project. Only because I had never done collage before. 3D collage was a bit difficult, so I figured 2D would be even more difficult.

I have worked with a similar programs such as Photoshop so I didn’t go into the 2D process completely blind. I sort of just messed around with the tools and eventually got a hang of it. We were required to make three 2D projects and by the third one (above), I was able to completely channel my creativity into my work. I definitely like 2D collage because it’s a process that also helps you learn the program. Which you can use to do many any other things besides collage.

Self-Critique:

In my Photography 1 class I am currently working on my second project which requires us students to shoot 5 rolls of B&W film. We have to submit 30 work prints and 5 contact sheets. This has been one of my favorite projects yet in college. Learning to work in the dark room is so exciting for me.

I would say the strongest aspect of my work so far is my perfectionism. Im not sure if that is considered an aspect of the overall project? But I just say it is. When I print a photo and the contrast isn’t how I want it or the lighting is off, I will work on it until I get it perfect (in my eyes). This process is also teaching me so much about developing and processing film. It also helps get my expert hours in.

The weakest aspect of my work would be actually bringing my camera out to shoot. I am sometimes shy about pulling out my camera in public and looking like “that person.” I guess I just don’t have enough confidence in my work just yet to get creditability for considering myself to actually be a “photographer.” Now that I think about it out loud, it sounds pretty stupid.

How I plan to improve on this project is by not being scared to fuck up. I guess that’s where my perfectionism ties in and also holds me back. I sometimes feel like if Im not perfect at something, I don’t want to try. Pretty stupid, I know.

I know as an artist, I am suppose to portray my work conceptually. And honestly, I never thought about this before being a student at St.Eds. I can choose to improve on this by not being scared to bust out my camera when I have an idea of a great shot. I have a big interest in street photographys concept and sometimes Im afraid people will get offended if Im taking pictures of them.

My project can be improved technically by learning to set up proper exposure with the aperture. I am still learning how to do so.

Overall, this project is teaching me a lot about being an artist and getting my message out there. I had never had critiques done before coming to St. Eds and they have taught me so much about my creativity and how I can improve.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.