Reading | WTF is Design & Art anyway?
1. What is the purpose of a designer, do they always work for a stakeholder?
A designer’s purpose is to please consumers visually, to influence and induce the need for creative thinking while also making design (and, consequently, art) understandable for a wider audience. They need not always work for “stakeholders”, but this is the most common and comfortable setting of a designer because of a designer’s duty to please consumers (as stated above).

2. Is the artist always a self-expressive narcissist?
I wouldn’t be so quick to call them narcissistic, but they certainly have more freedom for self-expression in their products because artists have no obligation to any particular audience or consumer. While a designer primarily works for others, artists can create what pleases them individually, and it is more like good fortune that a “consumer” is interested in their work.

3. Can the designer/artist exist?
Well, I should like to think so. At the very least, there could beĀ circumstances in which “true” art and “true” design may intermingle and are consumed as a blend of the two.

Personal Reflection
1. What is your personal view of the difference between the designer and the artist?
My difference of definition between these two is who their work is for; the consumer. As mentioned above, artists create work primarily for themselves whereas a designer always considers a client first.

2. Which are you, why?
I would say I’m a designer. I hardly create art of my own volition; I usually need an assignment or people who give me suggestions or options to work with.