ARTS1311 Reading #3

1. Based upon the readings the word design comes with many definitions. Across all the readings what are some examples of these differences?

• A blunt definition would be something like ‘to plan’ as a noun and ‘to create’ as a verb. Vilém Flusser finds design to be deceitful. Hal Foster says design is about desire, but it has become lost as time passes. Clement Greenburg talks a lot about minimal art and that an idea has trouble finding itself flourishing with that topic. Paul Rand sees design as a problem solving activity, to be used to clarify or dramatize something.

2. How does misunderstanding or rather multiple definitions of a singular word effect how we perceive design? Be sure to reference the four articles.

• All of the different ways of describing design makes each artists approach and work different, as they are basing their work upon different definitions. Each designer will have a different way of going through with their work and completing it. Greenburg refers to thr realm of good design to involve the type of Novelty art. In Rand’s outlook of design being a problem to solve, there comes the issue of having too many solutions and finding out which one is the best possible solution for the project. Flusser describes the value of things changing over time, but the design of it allows for it to still be valuable in its own way. Foster mentions how it has become much less about the art and creative flow to it, but more so the act of selling it and capitalism involved.

Personal Reflection:

1. How do you suppose you could better prepare yourself as a maker of aesthetic objects/ideas?

• I could look around at the different kinds of work that people do, and try to implement their style into my own and generally continue to improve my art.

2. What are things you currently do to practice your creative muscle?

• Often times I use music to fuel a sense of creativity and draw according to the tone/lyrics of the song, or the mood that i’m in while I’m drawing. I enjoy drawing people as well, so sometimes I take a non-human character or a general object and attempt to visually personify it.