Blog Post #10

Part 1: Local Video Game Industry Spacetime Studios Presenters

The visiting 3 presenters were from Spacetime Studios which is a game design company. Gary Gattis is the CEO and he stated that he would be open and honest about this career field, which is definitely what he did. His team works on the art, coding, programing, and development of Spacetime Studio’s games. In the game industry there is always a time crunch and a deadline. There are 4 major pillars of game design. These include, programing, art, design, and production. I learned from this presentation that there is a myriad of elements that go into game design and that there is a lot that goes into each and every aspect of the games, no matter how minor. I learned that excel spreadsheets and item templates are used in the development of a game, which was surprising and I didn’t expect that to be a part of game design. I was also intrigued by how each item in a game has an extensive background of design behind it and I did not truly realize how much actually goes into the development of games. Game development requires every field of art all the way from story writing to production management. I didn’t realize how many positions are offered associated with game development. Overall, the presenters opened my eyes to game development and I learned a lot about the process of the development.

Part 2: Professor Question(s)

What made you want to become a professor?

How do you believe art should be graded? What do you base your grading off of?(since art is usually an expressive and conceptual outlet)