Blog Post #5: Current Class Work

In my Clay 1 studio class, we have yet to fully finish a project, since clay is very intricate and requires tedious work.

Although, in my Visual Studies course we recently finished a photography project pertaining to Gestalt principles. This was apart of my series of photos:

img_9489

img_9776

Part 1

1. The goal of the assignment was to harness Gestalt Principles and develop a main subject matter when taking pictures on South Congress.
  2. I went about reaching this goal by first taking an abundance of pictures of things that intrigued me, then narrowing down my focus. I was interested in the mechanics of South Congress and ended up taking close up shots of different auto parts at different angles to highlight on the Gestalt principle of closure.

Part 2

1. The strongest aspect of this work is the structure and movement of the images. With a myriad of lines, curvature, form, and repetition, the photos create an intricate balance that is unified within the mechanical complexity of the pieces.
  2. The weakest aspect of this work is its lack of a focal subject point. The images lead your eye in all different directions and do not specifically lead the viewer to observe the subject matter as a whole with a focused viewpoint.
  3. The project could be strengthened conceptually by depicting a stronger meaning behind the photos. The photos seem more formalist than conceptual, but I wanted to depict man’s creation of mechanics and our dependence on the innovative complex mechanisms of society.
  4. The project could have been strengthened technically through using a better camera than my iPhone to catch more detail of the structure of the mechanisms.
  5. These photos exemplify the gestalt principle of closure through the photos being incomplete and the necessity for the viewer to perceive what the image is based on filling in missing information.