Tensions have run high at St. Edward’s University in terms of the election. While some value the act of voting, others saw not voting as their own form of expression. AP Style = full first name on first reference

For student Hailey Williams, Voting has been a part of Hailey Williams’ her family for generations. Williams, a student, had waited to vote until she could go back home to Houston so that way she could vote within her district. Members of her family were running running for what? Needs explanation and her grandmother had marched in protest during the voting rights act of 1964. For the Williams family, voting is both a privilege and an expectation.

“My grandma doesn’t care if it’s the town dogcatcher, if she can vote, she will WILL,” said Williams. Great quote.

For others, the emotional turmoil of the debates have been reason enough to opt out of voting in the election altogether. Sara Coffee, originally from California, missed the deadline to fill out her absentee ballot. She but remained apathetic about the election and argued that the two main candidates were corrupt.

“A vote is a way to say what you want. If you have two bad options, you’re choosing between the lesser of two evils and no one actually accomplishes anything,” said Coffee. There needs to be a change in the mentality.”

Julissa, Rostro, a sophomore who had just recently become eligible to vote, felt confused and even a little intimidated about the privilege. to vote.

“I’m not sure what changes I’d like to see, but I feel like should vote since his is the first time I can,” said Rostro. “This election has certainly been interesting.”

Others rely on facts alone while still seeing the election as one for the books. Jimmy Stewart, a Bioinformatics major, said he is jus glad the election will be over since it has divided the country.

“As a science major, I tend to side wit facts,” said Stewart. “I try to get as many facts as can and draw the most logical conclusions from there. Not a whole lot of emotion goes into my decisions as far as who to vote for.”

In other fields at St. Edward’s, coursework and social media have been of concern for students. Stewart Saborilo, a Finance major, and Liz Gulley, a Political Science major, were eligible to vote for the first time this year. Both said they felt and feel both concerned and interested about how the results will pan out.

“It’s been overwhelming on social media,” said Saborilo. “I’m looking forward to not seeing everyone’s strong opinions in my face ever day.”

Need a transition here.

“Everyone has just been too fired up,” said Gulley. “People fight instead of talk about what matters. I’m in Comparative Politics right now, so we’ve been talking about how electoral democracies differ from other democracies, which has been interesting to learn about while the election has been going on.”

No matter the background, everyone interviewed said they had holds some concern about over what the future holds. While it would appear to be engrained in some student’s DNA, others said they see it voting as a means to an end for the election. Opinions and values certainly vary varied from student to student, but the general consensus was has been that students they hoped to bridge the gap that has divided the country.