Blog Post #12

Tammie Ruben’s focus on synthetic yet organic shapes was intriguing. I liked her idea of the chimera. the ascribed power we give things was an interesting idea to try and capture especially with a medium like ceramic sculpture but I feel like she was able to connect with such an idea.

Kim Garza brought up the idea of “liberal arts for life” when discussing graphic design. For a visual studies major I think this was important to consider. There is more value to thinking critically about the value of the education we have as liberal thinkers. I also liked that she brought her own personal work of the experimental movie. She made a valuable point to work for yourself rather than exclusively for work.

James Lamshuren’s idea of photography as an index was a different take on what I had seen it as. The concept of photos as a tense of “having been there” lent itself well to James idea of index. I really liked the “ersazt form” Mr. Lamshuren brought up. All these in conjunction worked well to add an interesting value to photography I had not previously seen.