Blog Post #6

SKILLS INVENTORY

For each class ask yourself the following:

• My greatest strengths in Drawing I include: a lot of practice in drawing, control of the materials used, and OCD tendencies
  • For greater success in this course, I need to: go back to the basics, focus on the structure of my drawings, and do my best not to be bored by the assignments
  • My greatest strengths in Rhetoric & Composition II include: comprehension of the materials provided and writing skills
  • For greater success in this course, I need to: get things done earlier so I have an opportunity for more teacher feedback and a more refined writing style for academic papers
  • My greatest strengths in Theologies of Community: Who is my Neighbor include: background knowledge in the subject area
  • For greater success in this course, I need to: take better notes during class discussion, find a way to be more engaged in the reading, and not dominate the conversation in class
  • My greatest strengths in Visual Studies I include: an eye for design, the ability to follow directions, and note taking
  • For greater success in this course, I need to: develop more of my own voice and manage my time more effectively

Computer skills:

1. My computer skills include: a rudimentary knowledge of 3D printing software, Microsoft Office, online blogging sites, Mac OSX operating system, beginning knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
  2. I still need to learn: more advanced Adobe Creative Suite

Research & writing skills:

1. My greatest strengths as a researcher/writer include: a good memory, the ability to make connections between disciplines, and a prominent voice in my writing
  2. I need to work on these aspects of research and writing: better identifying which sources will be useful and which are merely interesting, skimming abstracts to find clues, not letting my thesis guide my research – getting a full view instead
  3. I learn best & accomplish most when: I am motivated to complete the task, I know why I am doing the assignment, I wait for a burst of productive energy within a time period and do the bulk of the work on a project in this time

ACTION PLAN (for Drawing I)

1. Learn how to draw straight lines
  2. Set up a proper work space on the desk in my dorm
  3. Draw in my personal sketchbook more often
  4. Do all the exercises at the end of the chapters, even ones that aren’t assigned
  5.  Re-read chapters we’ve covered and write down important tips
  6. Create a flashcard glossary of art terms I need to know
  7. Work with others on assignments, don’t just sit and do it alone
  8. Sustain my drawings, even the ones that aren’t for class
  9. Look at the drawings of famous artists
  10. Make more time for art