VISU1311: Creativity Blog #3

Growing up, when my dad would drop me off for school in the morning, he’d always tell me to have a good day and ask good questions. I’ve been asking questions for so long, it only seems natural to ask this one – What is design? After all, I’ve made a big commitment to design. The word is even in my major…

I really enjoyed Hara’s method of answering this question. I full heartedly believe that in order to understand the present and plan for the future, we must truly know the past. Hara began at the best place to begin a search for the truth – the beginning. The idea of “stick and vessel” as the first tools was very interesting to me. This categorization makes me think of active and passive elements of the world, both of which are very necessary. As Hara went on the describe the evolution of design as a field, I found it very interesting that design was so deeply rooted in answering questions. This way of thinking about design resonates with me. I consider design a very practical field. I practice problem solving in my methods of design and I’m glad to know that’s they way designers have been working since the beginning.

The Ulm School of Design categorized design into different fields. I really enjoyed Hara’s interpretation that design is about integrating all of these fields into one. Design is a very whole process that can easily be done in an empty matter. The Ulm School of Design’s categories – architecture, environment, product form, visual communication, information – and so many others work together to form the full field of design.

Hara, Kenya. “What Is Design?” Designing Design, Baden, Switzerland: Lars Muller, 2007. 410-37. Print.