Visual Studies I: Project 1

DSCN1277 DSCN1338DSCN1328 DSCN1302DSCN1286 DSCN1326

I was originally taking pictures of the different open signs for stores and restaurants on South Congress but it seemed familiar and bland. So as I was getting tired in the hot sun, I stopped to use the restroom in the Tom’s Coffeehouse where my first picture was taken. Instead of taking pictures outside showing life on SoCo, I decided I’d take a set of shots that showed necessary but unfamiliar places used by an everyday person. These restrooms are places that I have been countless times before but never stopped to notice where I was. After looking at these shots and thinking more about them, I realized how strange it is that we share such public places for our own intimate use but don’t actually take a moment to even recall the interior of where we were. This made me wonder how many other common places in my life I cannot recall but are as important as the obvious noticed places. I got to observe the unique way these venues designed their restrooms and some were as or even more beautiful than the setting outside these under appreciated rooms.