Mid-term Assessment Essay

1. Where are you in your hours that you declared earlier in the semester? Looking at your work now, are your current accumulated hours enough?

I’m at around 30 hours, and I think I need to put more time into everything I do. I can get the barebones down, but I don’t focus on the actual designing aspect. Most of what I concern myself with is accessibility and design keeps taking a backseat to that. I need more hours to work on balancing the two out.

2. Has your definition of “sophisticated” work changed from last semester? If so, how so? What is sophisticated in your weather report?

Yes, I think sophisticated work is well thought through from font choice and color to movement (when it applies) and other graphics. It doesn’t necessarily mean something minimalistic or “fancy” or even pretty in some cases. As long as the common thread of consideration is there I feel it counts as sophisticated. In my weather report, I thought through the main colors of the states based on pictures of the places, and my font was picked because when I think of the future I think of light sans serif typefaces.

3. Describe how the new things you’ve learned so far connect to what you already had coming into the semester.

My understanding of after effects has greatly improved since the last time around, and I feel I only got to this point because of using the program constantly. It gets easier and easier the more I use it, but it’s also a little frustrating to find a solution to a problem I had that took me hours to solve earlier but now I’m not pulling my hair out over problems I didn’t know the answer to.

4. What are somethings you are still unsure about in this project that you would like to know more about?

I want to go back into this project and iron out all of the kinks that I ran into while working on it. At the same time I’m curious what parts are issues I had with the program because of a weird fix I did or if it was something else. I also think that there’s much easier ways to fix the problems I had but I wasn’t aware of them at the time and I still don’t know just quite yet.

5. Assign a level of value to this project. Identify two other projects in your creative life and place this weather report relative to them. How close or far are they from one another? What qualities did each project have that the other’s didn’t that would rate them higher/lower?

If I compared this project to two others, I’d pick the portfolio app assignment and my symbols from last semester. I like this project a bit better than the portfolio app assignment because it was considerably less frustrating and I liked the movement side of things a bit better this time around. However I feel like the app video and my symbols were more personal to me, whereas this one wasn’t as personal. It’s mostly because I don’t feel much emotional attachment with cities or idolize countries.

6. Break down the percentages of what entities are responsible for creating growth within the creative you. Am I part of it? Part of it is on you, right? Do you consider your classmates/friends as influencers on the course of your trajectory for success? At the end of the semester you will be evaluating me, but right now within your own pie piece, how much have you brought to the game? How did it end up that you brought that much?

I always feel that I have to push myself hardest to grow in any creative means. This also means that I’m extra hard on myself whenever I feel that I’ve failed in some way. However, this happens all the time, so I try to take a step back and look to my friends and classmates for inspiration.

About Ellise Stokes

Hello! My name is Ellise, and I'm a senior graphic design major.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.