For my books I decided to create a pair of accordion books that mirrors the qualities of what Boggy Creek Farm and Austin because their histories are so close. The qualities I focused on are foundation/history and its values of farming, organics and animal care. The title “Our Home, Our Soul” comes from the Carol Ann Sayle interview (and the quote is featured on the last duo pages. I thought this title would reflect the importance of the homes of Boggy Creek Farm and Austin.

The map on the back possibly looks twig-like, and alludes to the broader concept of home with the imagery of birds and their nests. Before the execution of this concept of comparing Austin and BCF, I had a more complex idea that wanted to tackle the changes in East Austin, gentrification, and how BCF was almost an oasis in the ever-changing Austin. It would have been a timeline that featured Austin on one side and Boggy Creek farm on the other, open for the reader to flip and compare the changes overtime. (I covered this particular direction in-depth my first creative brief.)

After many drafts, I decided for this project and its time constraints that it would be simpler and more effective to create a book that was less about message/content/statistics and more about the form/higher metaphors/experience. I am happy with the direction that I took and how the books turned out.

Professor’s Feedback:

Final books are exceptional in content, design, and form. Content is well thought out, has a clear purpose and/or message, and is revelatory. The design is highly appropriate and portfolio/award worthy. Exceeds expectations of form by pushing the traditional form of the codex in a different direction. Excellent participation in class.

Well we missed you the last day of class but nevertheless your books turned out great! The design is really lovely, with the whimsical typographic arrangements and colorful illustrations. The book really comes alive with the accordion style fold which is both appropriate and fun! The seams are clean and your craft is strong. I do question the cloth and gold ink on the cover and wonder if a different material or even a printed design would have been more appropriate. I also wish there was some kind of locative information on the map to signify that it’s Austin.

You missed a lot of class this semester, 7 days by my count, and seemed to struggle with time management causing you to sacrifice content and concept for time. Just remember as you move through the program that with more focus and hardwork comes stronger concepts and projects that you can then represent yourself with post college. And I only bring this up because I enjoyed having you in class and wish we had more time to work together. I hope you enjoyed the class as well and have a very a happy holiday break!

L*

This feedback was really helpful and constructive for me. This particular semester I struggled with self-esteem/mental health as well as time management. This impacted my attendance and the quality of my work. I believe that I have come a long way since then. I have been caring for myself a lot better/reaching out to friends, family, professors and counseling for help. I think a lot of it was and is due to stress, uncertainty/anxiety, hyper-self criticism of myself and my work (and I still struggle with these things.) I know I’m not alone and have been a lot more mindful, caring and active in making sure that I take care of myself and my responsibilities and my career as a design student. Although I know there are many challenges coming up soon with senior year which may threaten to cause more anxiety, I am looking forward to it and feel better equipped to take care of myself. I feel that I am learning more to love and appreciate the process of growing as a designer and as a person. 4/17/18